converting triangulated surface into quadrilateral subdivisions

sharanshankar

i've been working on a residence on a sloped and irregular terrain. i got a contour map of the area and used the terrain option in max to create a surface out of the contour lines. but the surface created is triangulated and created too many poly subdivisions. trying to edit it results in max crashing.

is there any way i can convert the surface into quadrilateral subdivisions instead of triangular.

i use 3ds max 2014 with vray.

If there are no surfaces on the mesh that are fully vertical, you can try the populate terrain plugin. It will make your mesh all quads, and you can set the size of the quads of the finished surface/mesh. If that does not work, you could try the graphite tools (or whatever they are called) to create a new surface "on top" of your old surface.

Do a search for "3dsmax 2010 Graphite landscape cleanup" on youtube and you should find a video tutorial about it.

Thanks nicolai. that was very helpful and it worked well for me.

Thanks jose. but i have already tried populate terrain, but there is one problem with that. it works only with closed splines and i have a huge topography of open ended splines for contour. so it did not work.