Interior glass setup with HDRI

paneli

Hello,

Not a long time ago I started to work with HDRI (all those years of sun/sky are over finally) and I pretty much really figured it out for exteriors I mostly do, and it work like a charm.

Anyway I don't do much of interiors and now i'm a little stuck with the glass.

What I want to do is to keep the HDRI as domelight to illuminate the scene and cause nice reflections in reflective objects (floor, furniture etc) but I want to make the windows glass to be perfectly transparent and with no trace of the HDRI, so I can plant my own background I shot specifically for this project.

I added VraySky to environment reflection/refraction override and indeed the hdri disappeared from the windows, but there is still barely noticed reflections of it.

How do I get rid of it?

Hide your glass and do it in post

If you want to remove all reflections from glass, you might as well delete the glass.

If you want to see reflections of other stuff in the glass like furniture, but not the HDRI, that's a different story with a different solution

I don't see how deleting the glass is solving the problem...

Anyway I solved it.

Just erased the HDRI from environment and effects (8) and left it only in the dome light.

Also set up in vraymtl to color+alpha for both reflection and refraction and it works great.

If you want to see reflections of other stuff in the glass like furniture, but not the HDRI, that's a different story with a different solution

This is the same way I understood it, I presume you want refraction override which you did.

"Barely noticeable reflection", Are you sure that's not just the result of the light intensity ?

If you set Reflection override too, which you did, then your HDRi only modulates the light and shadows strength/penumbras, already compromising your visual result, because you specificaly wanted those "nice reflection in reflective objects".

You can also rather set the Glass invisible for the DomeLight itself (in VrayLight properties), should be more in line with what you want.

This is the same way I understood it, I presume you want refraction override which you did.

"Barely noticeable reflection", Are you sure that's not just the result of the light intensity ?

If you set Reflection override too, which you did, then your HDRi only modulates the light and shadows strength/penumbras, already compromising your visual result, because you specificaly wanted those "nice reflection in reflective objects".

You can also rather set the Glass invisible for the DomeLight itself (in VrayLight properties), should be more in line with what you want.

I did set the glass to invisible to the DomeLight at first, but it caused huge white spots all over it. As soon as I disabled it, glass rendered normally again.

Anyway, removed the hdri map from environment and removed the override from vray environment and it renders exactly as I wanted it to be.