How can i convert a 3DS file to 2D plan

alelasserre

Hi guys.

I have some models of some purses that are in 3DS format, and i really need to convert them to a 2D plan, so we can later print it and make the mould using it.

Is there any way to do this using Autodesk 3DS max 2015?

If you can give me like a step by step stating what should i take in count, i would really appreciate it (im new at all this).

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: One more question: isn't it the same if i use the unfold option on 3d max? I dont want to draw an imperfection this raw conversion may cause.

Edited by alelasserre

Hi Ale,

Im not sure what you mean by "make a mould". Do you intend to build a plastic injection moulding die in Solidworks?

Anyway to answer your question:

1. You could simply render out a view from the top viewport.

2. If you need vector linework - you could select the mesh edges and hit the Create Shape From Selection button. This converts the edge selection to splines. These can be exported out as an AI file for a 2D plan view of the linework. It will generate linework looking from the top

3. I am guessing you will probably want Cross sections perhaps? This can be done by going to the shapes tab on the create panel and using the Section command. This creates a plane that projects infinitely through all objects visible in the scene. Move the section plane to the Z height you want and hit the Create shape button. This creates spline linework as before, that can be exported out.

Hi! Thanks for your response! Even tho im still proccessing it and googling some of your words, haha, because as i said before, im a noob, and theres no step by ste on youtube for the 2015 version.

The mould would be based in paper and carton.

Here is one of the handbags im trying to get in 2D.

handbag.jpg

Thanks

Edited by alelasserre

Hello Everyone, I am a new member in CG Architect, I am 12 years old. I have experience in 3ds max and AutoCAD from 4 years. But i think i am still a Beginner. Thank you. I dont know but i want to know please. :)

Looks like you need a "pattern"...I don't have much experience in this area, but here are some links that you might find helpful:

3DS Max Garment Maker - Built into Max, but seems it may be difficult to use.

Marvelous Designer - A standalone tool that I believe is built for this type of stuff, works well with 3ds Max from the tutorials I have seen.

Pepakura - A papercraft program that unfolds a model so that you can cut/glue/tape paper that the pattern is printed on. I would say your model is probably far too complex to use this tool, but a fun and related tool if you ever find yourself with a simpler model.