Attach cloth to animated beding

remilanza

Hi,

So without going into too many details:

I have a piece of cloth, that I want to attach to an object.

This object will be animated in position, and has a part of it that has a bending modifier that will be animated also.

I want my cloth to be attached to the part that is bending trough the animation.

So if I attach my cloth using "group" and "node" to the object, the simulated cloth will follow the movement of my object, but not the bending.

What I tried was to attach a few dummies to my bending part of the object using attachment constrains and trying to attach the cloth using "node" to those dummies.

But it won't let me "node" it to a dummy that is constrained.

(Check the picture)

3dsmax_plane_help.jpg

How can I simulate a cloth to a bending object?

Another thing, I found that 3DS Max got very slow when animating with attachment constrains, is that normal?

Hope anyone could help me out here:)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by remilanza

Hmm that is very interesting. What I was going to suggest is basically what you have tried with the dummies. Have you tried it with a sphere or something instead of the dummy? If no one helps out before I get some free time tomorrow I will mess with it a bit to see if I can get something to work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I tried to link a cube to the dummy, but I can't node it to the cube if it is constrained in position it seems....

Right now I don't have time to try again, but from what I tried last night, it seemed like if an object is constrained in position, I can't node the cloth to it.

Thank for you response, hope you can help out!

Another idea, can I somehow save the movement of the dummies that are constrained, and convert the movement to keyframes with XYZ position, then node the cloth? If you get what I mean..

I googled that without much luck earlier. I found some talk about a script that could do it. Maybe I'll take a look again.

But it seems a bit too over-complicated to do it that way, and I would have less control over my whole animation.

Hopefully there is a simpler way around this.

Thanks!

Ok, ignore my last post. It wasn't that hard to transform the constrained animation to keyframes (Could use some collapse tool in the graph editor).

But If anyone has a better way to solve this problem, where I actually can constrain my cloth to the bending of my object, I would be happy to hear it :)