advice needed for new workstation

I found also very interesting silent case Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 (http://www.nanoxia-world.com/product/1/55/Deep+Silence+6+). Looks very promising

Well, it's more high-end than Fractal Define in way that it has more features, particularly in option of comfortably adopting water cooling as it has better mounting positions and space for radiators (up to 3x120) making it more comparable to Fractal ARC than Define, but still keeping sort of Define aesthetics and silence. Personally I find the design to be sort of uncanny... it's still sort of minimal but already flawed in details.

Not bad choice by any means, I think the price on this one is rather high and already in territory competing with quite few other similar high-end options.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really, I mean these funky details. It's like after-thought or, a choice. I don't like this design principle, either you expose those things, or you don't give them there. The moment you open those ports and fans storages, it's not minimal case anymore, it just looks strange. Feels like Transformer, but I understand pc enthousiasts love such gimmicks.

na-ds6-iopanel-large.jpg

Ok but that's not the one you were asking about, that's simply what you compared to Define, I got that part.

Don't like the 5 either though :- ) That ones on other hand seem to lacks features compared to Define.

Edited by RyderSK

My dual xeon renderslave arrived yesterday. The computerstore installed the extraction fans on the case at the top (see picture) and now it makes allot of noise compared to my workstation which has extraction only on the back.

Juraj, you once posted a picture in this thread of you're dual xeon renderslave. So i supose you have experience in it.

Do you think i could change the extraction to the back (so only intake in front and extraction in back).

thanks

dual xeon.jpg

I think it should be possible to silence it also with this arrangement (depending on the fans). I would say the airflow is nearly optimal as it is now.

Did you already try to lower the speed of the case fans? And i think you don't need 5 case fans. I would disable the two at the front.

But yes, you could also rotate the cpu coolers and move the exhaust fan to the backside.

Edited by numerobis

Sure, have a look. {Caution: The top down (white default Fractal) was there only during test, it's not there now, 5 fans total therefore).

The 2 CPU Noctuas I think are locked to 1200 rpm, but I don't know 100perc. from head. The Noiseblockers (2 in front, 1 in back) are 700 rpm (

I have front-back air cooling, as it's far more silent than top-down. Therefore yes, the whole build is sub 12 db, absolutely noiseless ( I cannot tell if it's on, I have to look at the cooler if it's spinning, I didn't connect the LED on top because I hate it )

10012686_10152291310246827_1730594291499139895_o.jpg

Edited by RyderSK

• 3 months later...

Wow this is exactly the type of thread I was looking for!! Thanks so much guys. I'm looking build this exact slave setup with 2 e5 2660 v3 in the next few weeks.

Did you make any last minute changes after you posted that list on page 4 or are those the exact parts?

Did everything work correctly compatability-wise? Would you have done anything different knowing what you know now?

Thanks so much, again!

hello alex,

everything works fine. Eventually i went for a dual E5-2640v3.

here are the parts i used:

dual xeon E5-2640v3 64gb

XEON E-5 2640 v3

XEON E-5 2640 v3

Asus Z10PE-D8 WS

Crucial CT16G4RFD4213 16 GB RDIMM - DDR4 PC4-17000 • CL=15 • Dual Ranked • x4 based • Registered • ECC • DDR4-2133 • 1.2V • 2048Meg x 72

Crucial CT16G4RFD4213 16 GB RDIMM

Sapphire - ATI Radeon HD6450 PassifIB-138SK-B-II

Samsung 850 PRO series 256 GB

Samsung 224DB - Internal DVD writer - Black - Bulk (SH-224DB/BEBE)

Fractal Design Define XL R2 Black Pearl (FD-CA-DEF-XL-R2-BL)

NB-BlackSilent Pro 140mm pk1

Noctua NH-U14S

Noctua NH-U14S

Corsair AX860 (CP-9020044-EU)

kind regards,

• 1 month later...

Hello! I've just signed up to say thank you for the information posted in this thread! I am going to build a very similar system soon (but with Asus Z10PE-D16 WS and more Ram), but your help on case, cooling and posted pictures was immensely helpful!

@Wim: Do I understand correctly and you have 4 Dimms installed on a Dual CPU System? If yes, then I believe you are only running in Dual Channel mode, and you forego quite a lot of performance. You need 4 Dimms per CPU to use the entire bandwidth.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Juraj, :) Your posts are always so helpful,also they helped me with decisions about hardware,because now im also building new workstation,close to identical with this 2xe5 2640 v3 node.Im living in Bratislava so i want to ask you if you can please tell me which company is building pcs for you.I need advice,i dont want to let ramdolmy choose who is going to put together this expensive parts :) thank you so much

Hej Kamil,

really dude, try to see if you can build it yourself. There are so many video's on youtube. Just do a study about it and you will see it's not that hard.

(Or else you can do a online search to see which webshops in your area also do the assembly or find a good pc shop in your area who is willing to pick up the srewdriver.)

EDIT: Sorry, i was just reading the previous comments and just saw that Juraj is from Bratislava too. He did post this was his pcmaker: tichepc.sk.

Edited by joelmcwilliam

Hej Kamil,

really dude, try to see if you can build it yourself. There are so many video's on youtube. Just do a study about it and you will see it's not that hard.

(Or else you can do a online search to see which webshops in your area also do the assembly or find a good pc shop in your area who is willing to pick up the srewdriver.)

Thank you Joel for responding to my post :) For sure good idea,im thinking about it seriously :) only one thing is still on my mind ,im still little bit affraid:)

Hej Kamil, have you seen my edit in my previous post?

Btw, about the ram. If you go to the site of kingston and crucial you can see which ram they recommend. At the site of asus you can also see what they recommend, but I guess asus can't test al the ram out there. I guess most ram will work fine, but I thought let me mention it.

About your psu (corsair rm). I heard there are two different versions/batches. The newer ones with a serial number beginning with 1438 (year '14 week 38) or higher is based on this psu: HX750i and is also made in a different factory and is better than the one beginning with a lower serial number. You might want to do a google search on it.

old rm: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/RM750/

new rm: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/HX750i/ (but without the software part)

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?p=112279#post112279

Hey Joel :) , yeah ive seen it thank you man.Thank you that you are writing about this PSU , im going with this rm 850 version probably it was only mistake done when writing :) i will chceck this for sure man ... If you wouldnt tell me this ,there wasnt single chance fpr me to know abou this man,thank you so much