Need advice on workstation build (I'm a newb)

Hey guys, I'm almost done purchasing all the parts to my new workstation. I just have a quick question.

Will I be okay buying a 16gb kit of ram (8GBx2) to start and then upgrade with another 16gb kit (8GBx2) to reach 32GB later?

Going to go with the advice from this thread and get the Crucial Ballistix DDR4 ram but I don't really want to spend the extra money to get the 32GB kit all at once. Thought I'd be okay doing half now and half later, but just wanted to be safe and make sure that would work?

Edited by paytonreed

If what you are worried is leaving performance behind not going 4x4GB (Quad channel) should you pick the s2011-3 platform, don't.

2x8GB @ dual channel will be fast enough. There is no way you will get notable performance increase, and it will make the transition to 32GB (should you even need to) more cumbersome.

• 2 weeks later...

My build is:

- 5820k CPU

- 16GB DDR4 Ram (will be 32GB sometime in future)

- X99-A Motherboard

- Nvidia GTX 760 (EVGA)

- 550W Corsair PSU (RM-Series) 80 plus gold

- 2 TB HDD WD-Black

- 256 GB SSD (Samsung Pro)

-750D Obsidian case

A 550W Power Supply should be okay with this build, right?

Edited by paytonreed

If you won't be overclocking the CPU, you should be fine.

You will rarely see more than 200W real power draw, and worst case (e.g. stress testing, gaming on a multithreaded game with lots of graphics Folding on both CPU/GPU or progressive rendering on both CPU/GPU) will be pulling around 400ish.

Most OEM workstations with 1x CPU don't come with bigger PSUs.

If you won't be overclocking the CPU, you should be fine.

You will rarely see more than 200W real power draw, and worst case (e.g. stress testing, gaming on a multithreaded game with lots of graphics Folding on both CPU/GPU or progressive rendering on both CPU/GPU) will be pulling around 400ish.

Most OEM workstations with 1x CPU don't come with bigger PSUs.

Gotcha. Yeah, no overclocking. First time builder, so I want to keep it relatively conservative.

In most systems, the psu is one of the components that aren't changed/upgraded so often, so in your place I would go for a 650/750W unit. You might deside to oc or add another gpu in the future. Don't constrain your choices. It's nice to have some headroom for future uses.