New Workstation Build

That worked! Seems to be all set now. I have everything in the proper slots and it recognizes all 32GB. Thanks so much for the help. If you have any final thoughts or suggestions for overclocking I am all ears. I am just using the OC Genie that is part of the BIOS on this board. I am currently running at 3.8 GHz. Should I be overclocking my RAM. Sorry for all of the questions. I am very new to this. I have a Boxx machine at work that is overclocked at 4.5GHz and it screams. I was trying to build a home machine that would be very fast as well without spending the same money I did for the Boxx. So far this machine seems comparable if not a little faster.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear that it worked!

So you are running at manual RAM settings now? 2133MHz 15-15-15-36 2T 1.20V

Or Auto?

Regarding overclocking you should take a look at some guides like this one

http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.php/reviews/hardware/cpu/33127-oc-guide-bringing-haswell-e-to-its-limits.html

The improvements of RAM overclocking will be close to nothing for rendering and 3D. But 2400 or 2666 MHz could be possible for your RAM http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/ram/76257-crucial-32gb-ddr4-2133-memory/?page=2

But i really think its not important and i would start with the CPU only. RAM overclocking is a different thing with X99 and needs a higher base clock of 125MHz. But you could try it later...

If you overclock, you should stay below the max voltages, especially VSA and VTT!

4.2-4.5GHz should be possible with the Noctua depending on the CPU. Every CPU is different! ;)

Edited by numerobis

Hi Gary, glad you ended up getting the ram to work. Looks like we ended up with the same build. My crucial ram sits in the 1,3,5,7 slots and i haven't messed with their settings. As numerobis says, it wont do much for your renders.

The OC Genie feature has me a bit confused to when it kicks in and how to really tune it, so I am using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility instead. Here I increased the standard multiplier of 33 x and ran the stress test. I cant remember how high i got untill the system simply turned itself off / rebooted (here my heart skipped a beat). It simply resat itself to standard settings as the CPU wasn't getting enough power. I ended up with a multiplier of 44x (4.4ghz) and increased the Core Voltage to 1,200V before it was stable. This is with just 1 fan on the noctua cooler and where I find the temperature comfortable.

Best of luck!

I also made the move to X99 over the holidays with the 5820k being a huge step up from my quad-core Q6600 home PC. Having previously built a sleek black minimal X79 Define R4 for the office I went full-on red and black gamer style for this one :D Although obviously the feature-set was the overriding factor in choosing components.

MSI X99 Gaming 7 mobo with MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G graphics card, Corsair H110 cooler and 16GB G.Skill DDR4 ram. I went for the Aerocool DS200 case in red, which has a very nice look in my opinion, as well as a proper temperature sensor with integrated led display and fan controller. All case fans replaced with Aerocool DS fans, including a couple of red LED ones on top showing through the mesh top panel. Don't judge me too harshly, haha.

Sounds great Thomas, we are all nerds, so you probably won't be judged too much ;)

On a side note: My WD Blue 1tb hard drives are noisy as hell! It is such a relief once they turn them self off when not in use. Is this just because of resonance from my case? Would some other form of mountings help with this?