Backlit Onyx - Need Help

nvarchitect

Hi all,

This is my first post and firstly, wanted to thank everyone who are sharing their knowledge for the benefit of everyone !

I am a newbie at 3ds max and trying to create a material - Backlit Onyx Marble and pulling my hair not knowing how to do this. I've attached an example from the internet. I searched, but found a lot of links referrnig to Vray. I am not a vray user,, i use 2014 max and mental ray. Can you anyone please help ?

Thank you ! Backlit Onyx.JPG

This client wanted white onyx and he made me just keep turning it whiter.

ONYX CGA X.jpg

But basically I found just find the pattern and color required and burned it with the dodge tool in Photoshop.

Here's another sample to show what a bizarre look it can have.

honeyonyx cga.jpg

The dodge tool works really well to light it up in PS. I guess you could spend hours mapping it, making it semi-transparent and putting lights behind it and experimenting. I usually don't have the luxury of extra time to do this.

Edited by heni30

Dario, if possible can you also shed some light on me for creation of the material. Did you use any special plugins or just native 3dsmax materials n maps. Thank you !

Nothing special about it :) And quite simple setup, just one bitmap and A&D material. Download the scene and explore it.