Render Pockets - DIY Renderfarm kit

I didn't have time to assemble the 32GB node yet, due to work load at the moment, I will try to post the update next week.

About the water cooling, I think only way to fit it in is to do double height node, so each node now is only 80mm in height, if you dedicate 2 drawers to 1 node (remove the top one), then you can have 160mm height and add the radiator in the back. I will look into this, maybe its better to have 3 overclocked nodes vs 6 normal.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think it's better to have 6 good render nodes than 3 pretty good ones. Let's face the facts that this system can help with animations, which you want the most number of machines working the most efficient way. Unless you can OC the chip to be able to do the work of 2 non-OC'd chips, then it's not worth it to remove the other boxes as you'll lose time in the long term rendering tasks. That's not also touching on that the whole purpose of a render slave is to have it's CPU pegged at 100% it's entire life, so oc'ing those might lead to a faster failure rate of your CPU's.

Can I ask a bottom line question on this thread.

What will be the retail price of your render nodes?

You buy the over all storage unit, and then the drawers for the want of a better phrase, as you need them.

?

Philip, I am only selling the case, not full assembled node, you have to buy your computer parts and assemble it yourself.

The cases are available for sale already:

http://igg.me/at/renderpockets/x/9685596

Maybe I will make the front holes smaller a bit for the fan vents as you suggested earlier.

I never said, that i would make them smaller... quite the opposite.

This case comes to mind, its just nothing but holes and its being sold for long time, there are also so many cases online with weird holes and materials, I don't think case itself requires the FCC regulation:

http://www.mini-box.com/M350S-universal-mini-itx-enclosure

Metal case with small holes (net) = Faraday cage

But as i said above, i don't know if this applies to self-build PCs.

started ordering my parts, can't wait for this to be shipped! when will you start shipping the render pockets Art???

Cool, which components are you planning to buy so far? mini-ITX or mATX board?

Will start shipping to the first 10 people who order very soon (in 2-3 weeks, adding some more design modification to fit the mATX mobo).

Cheers

Art

Okay guys, have some updates (good and bad news).

Successfully assembled 32GB mATX render node with i7-4790K (4Ghz) cpu.

The space is really tight, had to use wireless dongle to connect to internet (have to modify the side panel to allow more room for normal ethernet cable or ethernet adapter, the flat ethernet cable works well by the way)

Also mounted SSD Drive on its side to allow more room.

Now the bad news, not the fault of renderpockets, but the fault of Intel. There seems to be an overheating problem with i7-4790k batch 4 CPUs, the one I purchased for this render node... https://communities.intel.com/thread/54032?start=0&tstart=0

Some people even had overheating issues with this cpu using liquid cooling... There are some tweaks possible in BIOS to bring the temps down to 75c at full load, such as turning off Turbo Boost, I have to read more about it and if there are any solutions. But a word of caution, when you buy i7-4790k cpu, you might experience overheating issue even with the best cooling, as these guys had on the Intel forum. So it is not the fault of Renderpockets!

But its damn good CPU, I did some test rendering and for $350 its one of the best and cheapest CPUs out there in my opinion, just need to tweak some BIOS stuff to make it work a bit cooler, I was getting 90c at some point with Noctua NH-L9i (I know its not the ideal cooler for that cpu, but it kept my 3770 and 4770 at 65-75c on average)

Here are some pics of 32GB node:

SAM_0069w.jpg

SAM_0087w.jpg

SAM_0067w.jpg

Installing Windows from USB stick:

SAM_0055w.jpg

Edited by artmaknev

Is it normal??? I removed 2 RAM sticks and temperature drops by 20c?? So when I had 32gb installed the cpu went crazy hot (92c at full load), when I have 16gb intalled the temps back to normal (about 75c at full load). Is my RAM causing cpu to overheat?

Art:

Would this fit?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157545

Its a mATX 2011v3. This would carry an 8 core i7.... also 64G ram.

Tom.

Unfortunately, it won't fit, this motherboard can only fit if the drawers are completely removed, there is only 1mm clearance. This motherboard is actually same size as full ATX but it slightly shorter. I know its a good choice to go with that mobo and 8 core cpu if you want slightly smaller system. But one 8 core cpu cost more than fully assembled 4 core node :)

Edited by artmaknev

Cool, which components are you planning to buy so far? mini-ITX or mATX board?

Will start shipping to the first 10 people who order very soon (in 2-3 weeks, adding some more design modification to fit the mATX mobo).

Cheers

Art

I'm doing a mini ITX, so far I ordered:

-Intel Core i7-4790K 4 GHz Quad-Core (BX80646I74790K) Processor

-ASUS Mini ITX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards H97I-PLUS

-Noctua Low-Profile Quiet CPU Cooler for Intel 115x Based Retail Cooling NH-L9I

-mod/smart Green Illuminated Bulgin Style Momentary Vandal Switch - 22mm -Silver Housing - Ring Illumination

-2x Noctua 60x25mm A-Series Blades with AAO Frame, SSO2 Bearing Premium Fan - Retail Cooling NF-A6x25

-Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

-XSPC LCD Temperature Display (Black/White) V2 + Flat Sensor

-CablesOnline 1ft Cat5e RJ45 M/F Shielded Ethernet Network Screw Panel Mount Extension Cable

-Corsair Builder Series CX 430 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS certified Power Suppy- this ended up being to big, I'm gonna returned it, don't know which to order, I'm between this 2:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VF4R4U/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2RTPS8OJTFTBW&coliid=I3DMOZX2W7U2RS&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FA4KP8S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2RTPS8OJTFTBW&coliid=I2JQIN5OR5G7L2

I would appreciate advice on what would be better.

I already place an order for the RenderPockets.

I saw your post about the Intel Core i7-4790K overheating issues, I'm glad I didn't buy it I almost did yesterday. It's strange I've been reading reviews on it and no one seems to be having that issue with it, it might just be a batch they did. I looking for other options,

i7-4770K @ 3.50GHz

i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz

i7-4790S @ 3.2 GHz

the i7-4790 is better overall price + performance.

After manually tweaking voltages and stuff in Bios to no avail, finally tried the Asus software for that motherboard, changed CPU load from "extreme" to "ultra high", that dropped down the temps by 20c! Still rendering at a steady 4.0Ghz at about 75c, I think I will leave at that.

temps.jpg

After all this headache today, I recommend this CPU for Renderpocket cases - Intel® Core™ i7-4790S Processor 65W (8M Cache, up to 4.00 GHz, It is low power consuming, slightly slower than K series (5-10%), but you don't have to worry too much about cooling it, with Noctua NH-L9i the average temp is about 65c at full load. The K series CPUs are better with bigger cases where you can install liquid cooling or big cpu cooler. i7-4790S will also save on energy bill!

http://ark.intel.com/products/80808/Intel-Core-i7-4790S-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

I saw your post about the Intel Core i7-4790K overheating issues, I'm glad I didn't buy it I almost did yesterday. It's strange I've been reading reviews on it and no one seems to be having that issue with it, it might just be a batch they did. I looking for other options,

i7-4770K @ 3.50GHz

i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz

i7-4790S @ 3.2 GHz

the i7-4790 is better overall price + performance.

Carlos, sorry somehow I missed your post!

The components look good, but yes I had some troubles with 4790K.

Many people have overheating problem with it, this is from Intel forum, there are 20 pages of person after person having problems with overheating, even using dual radiator water cooler... https://communities.intel.com/thread/54032?start=0&tstart=0

I would go with i7-4790S, it is equivalent really to 4790, because it has turbo boost to 4Ghz, so maybe even better than 4790. Also using almost 20W less, so less heat to worry about, perfect for Noctua NH L9i cooler. For me its like a peace of mind when its rendering and temp is only 55-65c.

For PSU, it must be SFX form factor, so anything like Silverstone or Be Quiet 300W, will do the job, I like to have at least bronze 80 rating, I think most have that by default now.

I saw your order, thank you, hopefully will start shipping very soon!

Edited by artmaknev

• 2 weeks later...

Well, 14nm Xeon "D"s were announced today, and with them I saw some ITX boards with 4x Dimms.

Perhaps the selection of what fits in those drawers will grow soon ;)

900x900px-LL-d953ad6a_Supermicro-X10SDV-TLN4F_575px.jpeg

Supermicro-X10SDV-TLN4F

Mini ITX Form Factor

8 core 16 thread 2.0 Ghz Broadwell Xeon

128 GB ECC RDIMM support (32GB DDR4 DIMMS)

2x 10 GbE Ethernet ports

M.2 Support

PCIe 3.0 for a HBA card

About $800

Performance Preview:

http://www.servethehome.com/intel-xeon-d-1540-power-performance-preview/

Ok, it is not a powerhouse, but project that to a 70W chip, and we might be getting 6 or even 8 core, faster clocked CPUs on ITX boards soon ;)

Edited by dtolios

Nice! with 6 of those boards you would get same Ghz power that I was comparing with 6 i7 4790k, 96Ghz total power for almost half the energy!

I am impressed by 128GB RAM, how in the world can this mITX fit that much ram, I think 64GB is the limit (16x4)?

Trying to find where to buy this, is the $800 just the price of the chip, or is the chip built into mobo??

This Xeon D can use Registered DDR4 (RDIMM), so the limits are much higher than regular Unregistered (UDIMMs).

I believe the next generation of mainstream i7 CPUs will be using DDR4, and we will probably getting access to 16GB DDR4 UDIMMs in 2015, as it was implied by Corsair's CES roadmap. Ofc Corsair doesn't make its own memory, so if they are getting it, Crucial (micron), Samsung etc are making it, so there will be more options, in the long run possibly making even 2-slot next-gen ITX boards 32GB capable.

Soon™ we will know more ;)

I was totally unexcited by Broadwell, as intel wasn't promising notable IPC increases and I was thinking it as a node-shrink that would benefit mobile applications only, but 8-core 14nm chips @ 45W, could be hinting towards 6-core mainstream desktop broadwell i7s :p

Edited by dtolios

wow, 2011-v3 on mini-ITX, thats insane!!

but 140W TDP... not sure if that little cpu cooler they show will do the job in small case.

have to look at slim server psu's again and see if I can add 2 exhaust fans in the back of the case (this node might be super noisy, not sure if its worth it)