What are you watching?

heni30

Seen any good movies lately?

A couple that blew me away recently: (all on netflix)

Snowpiercer - sci-fi - train circling the globe non-stop with last people on earth.

story - a

special fx - a+

acting a+

Black mirror - series. British; mildly futuristic; superb screenplays, acting and production quality.

Headhunters: - Norwegian - a real roller coaster ride of a thriller ala Coen brothers.

Edited by heni30

watched 'Miss Congeniality' on Sunday night. It has Sandra Bullork from Speed in it. Then we watched a kids film called Avatar that was like The Smurfs in NYC but with more of a Disney type story to it.

Now that you joined in I can tell this thread is gonna take off.

As far as films about down under go, have you seen Roeg's "Walkabout"? It's about some kids that go hiking in the Australian outback and they get to know each other and have a great time.

Edited by heni30

I saw Snowpiercer, and sadly I was not impressed with it, actually I knew exactly what to spec from that movie, that that's what I got... any ways the show that we start to watch with my wife is Game of thrones, and I have to say, the story is great, my wife read all the book and push me in to it.

The production is great, I know I am late in the game, but if you have not see it, you should it is all good, I really love the intro.

Snowpiercer is not really sci-fi, if you expect that, than it ends up being very mediocre movie. But since it isn't, it's sort of quite good :- )

I suggest (out of new movies, let's not go what everyone liked in their whole lifetime) "Force Majeure" by Ruben Östlund. Father abandoning his family during Avalanche. Everybody survives....father is in for a guilty ride. It appears sort of grotesque, but it also asks good questions and questions certain role models...like male hero.

I don't know, The whole thing that This guy knew that the whole planet will freeze and the best thing that he could do to survive was build a train! really?

Then that big gap in the design that has to be resolve by sacrificing kids. and over all, the Hero story pretty much like Matrix. I did have hopes but, everything went kind of flat on me (this is my personal opinion)

The performance of Tilda Swinton was great tho, still design concept a la Hungers game for the high society but she crack me up with her whole character.

Edited by fco3d

None of that was the major point of the movie though. You're simply looking at it through incorrect optic perhaps ;- )

It's by no means art-grade A-class movie, it's quite odd niche, but it still has rather enjoyable exploration of various themes, if you only judge the pseudo-sci-fi compound, then it's C+ blockbuster, but that ain't the point.

There are lot's of overloaded hipster analyses on the web if you feel like wasting some time :- )

Like what to what.. ?

You're not obliged to like it, I simply wanted to put forward argument why judging it on premise of sci-fi blockbuster will not lead to satisfactory outcome, not much else.

Now I cease.

Oh not at all, I don't care is it is sci-fi or Tom and Jerry story. my opinions was the over all of the movie. Same way some how it create that feeling of meh... even though effect where fine to me, fight scenes where ok, some character where pretty good, like mentioned before, even the Asians actor, they give a interesting "different" touch to the movie.

They remember me the Moive "The Host" the Korean version? I think, I though that one was good.

It's funny that the reasons you don't like it are the reasons I did like it. It's just like my 3 cats - we are all wired differently.

I thought - WOW - what an idea! -about the train- and then to have the balls to put it on the screen. It's like "Being John Malkovich"; either you allow yourself to go along with the intriguing absurdity of the premise or you dismiss it as ridiculous.

Like Juraj said, it's an odd niche and when you start watching it without any expectations and all the different layers start unfolding - I just think it was well done and entertaining. I agree the end was kind of anti-climactic. The whole thing kind of reminds me of Gilliam's "Brazil" - with it's bizarre but intriguing view of the future - (as opposed to a clean, shiny Star Trek futuristic vision)

Edited by heni30

Do you have any yourself? The favorites of my Chicano brothers are Jesus Christ on the cross across the chest and the Virgin Mary covering the whole back. ..........er, I think I'll pass. (you've got the wrong flag in your avatar)

Edited by heni30

Do you have any yourself? The favorites of my Chicano brothers are Jesus Christ on the cross across the chest and the Virgin Mary covering the whole back. ..........er, I think I'll pass. (you've got the wrong flag in you avatar)

Yeah have quite alot.

I suggest "Force Majeure" by Ruben Östlund. Father abandoning his family during Avalanche. Everybody survives....father is in for a guilty ride. It appears sort of grotesque, but it also asks good questions and questions certain role models...like male hero.

Poor guys take a real bashing (Tomas, bearded-buddy, creepy janitor, bus driver). I like his use of a stationary camera where the frame is fixed and these well thought out stills slowly start to come to life.

Edited by heni30

Hi guys,

I really cherish any good series that I find, because then I can treat myself to one or two episodes between work and bed!

"Spiral" is a good French series, then you've got all the Nordic Noir stuff, like "The Killing" and "The Bridge". There's a British one (with Gillian Anderson in it), called "The Fall", and currently I'm re-watching "The Shield"...which is excellent.

I guess I like shows that begin with "The..." !! , like "The Wire" and "The Walking Dead".

Those are all good - specially liked "The Fall". I don't like it when the series starts out strong, peaks, and then coasts on what's worked before.

I hated when that began to happen with Breaking Bad. The first two seasons were so good, fresh, original.