OPINION - BOXX SLIM vs. Macbook Pro?

There is one more alternative high end laptop company (Malibal)

Malibal (and 50 others like Sager, Eurocom, Xotic,etc...) are only re-branded chassis/laptops made by taiwanese OEM builder Clevo, just sold under name of tons of other builders/re-sellers. It's OEM budget laptop product line, great value for the price...

..but no, there aren't really any further benefits, it didn't even go around "high-end". Likewise, I wouldn't expect Boxx to be any different. You simply order from existing line of chassis/full laptops or spec your own parts and they will build it for you. They aren't unique/engineered products, just OEM products with new sticker put on.

Doesn't mean it's bad product at all, but just calling it what it is. The sticker with logo is about the only unique thing about it, and sole price deciding factor.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question about macbooks, when you run 3ds max and photoshop in parallels (or how you call it when you switch OS to win?), does it drain your battery life a lot faster because you have two operating systems running at the same time?

Also, did anybody try to run 3ds max or photoshop on macbook pro 13"? I am looking for ultra portable notebook mostly for 3d modeling work while on the go, and I was amazed at how small this 13" macbook really is and even more amazed that they squeezed in 16GB + i7 into it, I really want one now! But can it run 3ds max with integrated graphics?

By the way, I just open about 10 million poly scene on older PC without dedicated gpu, it has integrated hd4000 cpu, and the scene worked fine, I was able to move around (not as smooth of-course), but it didn't crash. The macbook pro 13 has Iris 6100 graphics which is supposed to be better than hd4000, so I wonder if its good enough for those type of scenes under 10 mil polys.

1.5kg is so appealing!

Edited by artmaknev

Art m, you can run Windows in a MAC in two ways, one is buying a third party software (Virtual machine) caller parallel (there are other brand too) when you do this, what you drain the most is your RAM, battery not much, but there are several video issues, because software compatibility, I never could run Max good enough for me to work, I had to reboot the machine and run windows with bootcamp, that is the other way to run windows in a MAC, this will ensure better driver compatibility for your windows software. Having said that, honestly and I already mentioned here, mac book are not the "best work station" for 3d Max, yes you can run it, and do some stuff, but big scenes or complex geometry will eat up your video card in no time and with rendering it will heat to fry eggs in top of it ;P

I would not see any difference with the new macbook, being thinner and smaller mean thinner and smaller parts, so they will fry faster IMO.

Besides, Apple is walking away from any decent work station from years now, so this new product is tailored for casual computer user mostly.

Yes, I keep reading about macbook retina problems when running 3ds max in parallels, its a bit better when working from bootcamp.

I think I will get Asus Zenbook UX303LN the 12GB RAM with dedicated Nvidia GT 840M 2GB gpu, its even lighter than macbook pro 13 and for about $1000 its probably the best more affordable ultra portable notebook on the market today. I do not plan to do any rendering, its mostly for 3d modeling while at the coffee shop, the battery life is okay I think too.