new unreal engine to visualize architectural designs?

HeDaCoM

I have considered using one of the gaming engines for architectural walkthroughs for a while now. I tried to export some models to Half-Life (a favorite past time in our office) but had little luck.

Is this something that is being addressed and I have just not found anything on it? Is it simply an export tool to make a map file out of a model? If so does that mean I will be forced to chaperone our clients around their building via Arnold Schwarzennegger arms toting a rocket launcher the size of a Buick?

Very interrested,

Spongebob

I built my final 1st year project at uni in WorldCraft for Half-Life, and at that stage you couldn't import anything from MAX so I had to build it all the hard way. That was over 3 years ago though... you couldn't even have concave objects in the map. Has that all changed now?

This sort of walkthrough beats an animation hands down for 'get the feel of the place'-ness.

If it works well, I'd certainly like to try it out...

Incidentally, Doom3 is going to be out soon also, and has the most advanced live renderer to date - 6-layer texture channels for bumps, reflections, etc... definately worth looking at if it has a compatible editor...

the mainproblem is the UI and not the 3d engine i think.

We had some tests with client's years ago with quake and all said "wow visually ok ,but can you start directly into the engine without the UI and can you hide the weapon in front of me?"

that's the problem.

btw, i think the most powerfull engine for architectural stuff is serios sam.

With Half-Life you were able to start a level directly from the command line, and you could set it to start with no weapon... although my tutors quite enjoyed blowing all the glass in the scheme up with grenades.

I couldn't find a way to get rid of the health counters and such, but I'm sure its possible. The game started with no UI.

Serious Sam is certainly good for creating large areas though, H-L would fall apart if you went much larger than 50m in any direction.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

When I was in Boston, the guys at Neoscape had put togetehr a few real-time walkthoughs with the new unreal 2003 engine. It was pretty cool. Was funny to walk up to the glass and see this army guy in full body armour though. LOL.

I'll have to see if they can post some examples of this.