Space X falcon heavy

Devin Johnston

I am super big fan of this.

But the animation looks so budget-y and like game trailers/intros from 1998. (Command&Conquer...)

For something like this I would have expected at least the current Blur/PlatigeImage like the one done for 'Ambition'(Rosseta). Hell, Marek Denko has surpassed this emotionally and in technical execution in 2007 alone in spare time. (link)

To me, this kind of presentation that is just one step beyond diagrammatic, is more effective to show how something works than something that is sexy and Hollywood-ized. If something is too stylized I start to become wary that the wow factor is being utilized to cover up deficiencies.

When something is bare-bones the basic concept becomes clearer, I think. Afterwards, when presenting to investors, say, more seductive techniques can come into play.

I think this animation is deceptively simple. The timing, camera angles, framing, lighting (however simplistic), etc. are right on.

I think they are being very optimistic that they can slow down the boosters, invert them and then slowly bring them down into a perfect landing. I definitely would not want to be part of the ground crew.

Edited by heni30

My in law used to work for the Air force for years, now he works for the NAVY doing exactly this type of animations and other stuff.

What George said is right. Of course for us this type of animation seems a little behind the trend, but functionality and other details are more important for them than Flares and Chromatic aberration. I am pretty sure you could find a middle ground but, with crazy deadlines and so many other limitations ( I can explain here for obvious reasons) most of the time is just surprise what they can produce.

Regarding software he told me they use a mix of 3D Max and Maya, with Mental Ray as major rendering engine. SOme animations are produced for external companies, they may be using the same, or V-Ray

Regarding the project it self, I don't know, I think there should be a more practical way to recover those rockets, in this demo it seems like a lot of fuel need it to make the back and forth trip.

But oh well what I know, I am not making rockets to the moon right?