Health issue

komyali

I am looking at monitor all day long, my friend told me that he have glasses that help his eyes while working on computer, but one oculus doctor told me that glasses like that doesnt exist and everything abut that is scam? Your solutions for long time working on computer? Does bigger resolution, faster monitor response and bigger frequency help eyes?

He meant this ? http://www.pcworld.com/article/258302/gunnar_glasses_help_for_eyes_chained_to_a_monitor.html

Supposedly helps a bit with eye strain, although it's probably more down to feeling that true effect. A placebo of sorts..

Nonetheless, it tints the colors, so it's very much useless for any graphic profession.

Working at naturally well lit spaces (and not this shutters downn/blacked out room obsession some graphic guys/studios/gamers have...like are we rats or what ?), avoiding halogen type of lights at night, keeping your monitor calibrated at lower brightness, sitting at correct distance,etc..

But most of all:

Regular breaks away from the pc
Edited by RyderSK

It's very important to work in well lit spaces, like Juraj said. The reason for this is that in a dark environment, your eyes will adjust themselves for the ambient light which is darker than your monitor. So when you're staring at your monitor, you're basically letting in far too much light in a concentrated area and that contributes to eye-strain. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/04/060425015643.htm

Again, regular breaks! Stay hydrated also. What I like to do is constantly drink water when I'm working. Your bladder is a very good alarm for reminding you to get up ;)

There's not single fix for this, it's a combination of things. Pay attention to what your body tells you.

*edited for spelling/grammar*

Well, This is based in my experience,

Five years ago I started to use glasses just for reading, small magnification need it I guess for all the years working with PC's. A friend recommended the Gunnar glasses, but I was concern about the yellow tone. They do make a "Crystalline" version, so there is not tint on the glasses, I have compared with and without the glasses there is not color shift, but I can see sharper, I guess for the little magnification on them of course, but the brightness of the screen feels way more comfortable. they do come coated to block UV and glare from monitors.

I send them my prescription and they made the glasses that I need it. I can tell you that they really help with the eye strain, a lot. I can say that when I forget the glasses at home by the end of my day, my eyes are red, like before and over all tired, with the gunnar I can stay way lounger, I try to avoid as much as possible but dead lines sometimes do not give you rest.

That mixed with continues , bathroom breaks, tea breaks, just talking with other people break can really help you with your eye strain.

If you feel like your eyes are too stress, it is because they are. You need to look away of your monitor from time to time, some people said every 25 minutes.

I don't try to be a sales person of gunnar, ( and maybe Juraj may tell me that it is not true ;) I am just telling you my experience, and also other friend of mine that felt this glasses help them, I read some people complain that they can not do other things with them and I guess if you don't need glasses, they will trow you off because they do have a little magnification, since I need some magnification I didn't suffer any inconvenience that other people mentioned, but the way the glass bend it does not feel comfortable to walk or drive with them. they seems to be modeled just to look forward :p

So before you jump to buy glasses I will recommend you to review your daily routine and see what you can change to be more comfortable. Glasses are not a magic cure, actually they are just patching what used to be fine, a fresh pair of eyes.

My office is naturally lit, thankfully now I have a nice window view that I use all the time.

Best luck.

No, interesting review. Went to read further about it and seems like it's actually decent mixture of mostly clinically supported claims (blue wavelength reducing tint, and anti-glare coating) to mostly unsupported (humidity catching), but with quite a big anecdotal evidence from user-base (note that personal experience isn't sufficient argument).

The company itself, their website and claims... not comment worthy. Almost expected it to make 4K display out of fullHD. Well...US market...gotta make it cool, it's glasses after all. (with 50Cent being investor)

Would be worth trying on perhaps. For most I believe, anti-reflex coated glasses and occasional polyethylene (or other 'fake tears') eye-drops should do the trick well enough.

Perhaps doesn't hurt.

Well I had other glasses before, and I did pay extra for a supposed "coating" that will help with the UV and back light produced by monitors (stupid me). At the end those glasses where a little darker, they change color when outside lol and in front of the PC of course didn't showed the right colors; so then the talk with my friend started about the Gunnar product.

I took the leap of faith and they work way better than my previews one, and over all good experience. that's all. I don't have Ray X vision now, or can see color in HDR, they are just a good glass for seat in front of the PC. Good thing is prices are dropping thou at the beginning they where way to expensive IMO.

I dont belive in glasses because biggest problem is eye dry, when you watch monitor you blink 2-5 times less then watching a nature or doing regular job. So how the glasses can act like humidity catch?! Second problem is resolution, althrough you dont see pixels in new generation of monitor they do eye strain... So I am interested in glasses but my logic ( and Juray) just refuse me to buy. Other thing that we dont talk about this is monitor bigger resolution, faster monitor response and bigger frequency help eyes? Also where to put monitor? window on right, left, behind in front? I had big project to do and I was working 4 months every day and didnt think about my health, now I see worse than before and I need to check my eyes, I had -0.5 but I think now is more than that...

And blank stare you mean you watch something in the distance?

Yes, just a play on words with my username :) Basically just defocus like looking somewhere of to a distance, you can keep looking at the monitor i.e. through it. It also has a benefit of making you look like you're deep in the project :D