Desktop Workstation Build - Workstation GPU or Gaming?

I understand what you're saying and I've worked with computers many years, I've been fascinated since I was a child. I must have looked at the wrong list, because I thought they were still using LGA 1366. I'm spending my free time on this, I've been pretty busy this week volunteering, interviewing, producing.

Dmitri's Blog is Great, I love it, he's very smart, and I've taken some of his ideas into consideration. I'm polling from multiple sources, and my own experience.

Workstation builds with Xeon aren't worth it unless they're $5000, because of the price for entry isn't as powerful as top of the line i7.

I use Intel Extreme workstations at school, it's extremely satisfying watching those boxes go around and reveal an image, these computers are 4 years old, would I buy one? Yes, but at the right price. http://www.arch.rpi.edu/school/digital-lab/

Intel Core i7 980 Extreme w/ 6 dual-cores (3.33GHz, 12MB Cache)

There's fast enough, and then there's fastest. Fastest doesn't last long and future technology will be better. I'd rather spend less now, and swap parts out, putting $200 in a year.

Here's the last CL, you don't need to click, I posted the specs below, I won't pay $2000, but anyone with an i7 wants a premium, my laptop (T530) has an i7. It doesn't exactly slaughter renders.

Fractal Design Arc Midi

EVGA Supernova G2 1000W (Gold Certified)

ASUS Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard

Intel i7-4770K Processor

16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM

2 x Sapphire Radeon R9 290x 4GB (AMD Crossfire)

Crucial m500 240GB SSD

Hitachi 2TB Deskstar HDD

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/sys/4912897631.html

I try to keep the responses short, but it leaves them open to interpretation. Thanks! What can I say, I love craigslist?

Oh boy, it's kind of like using a Pentium 4, while the Core 2 Duo were out. Technology is upgrading faster than the software that uses it. I'm in NYC and I believe I could find anything given a day or two.

I wouldn't doubt you that they're getting hard to find, especially new.

This city is incredible, off-topic, but damn, if I moved somewhere else, I'm satisfied mainly in just wandering cities, going down allies, going into storefronts. There's a fascinating relationship between the moving worker, and the static buildings.