Remote desktop software for heavy work?

Hi guys! I'm looking for a solution to my workflow problem. I need to carry a pc from home to work pretty much everyday. I had an alienware x51 for that but it died. I now only have a Workstation at home. Instead of buying a 2nd pc or a laptop I was wondering if there are any good remote desktop software that could be viable for ''heavy'' 3d work.

It would be for 3ds max and unreal engine 4 mostly. I have a good internet connection on both sides. I have a 25mbps internet @ home and a 90+ mbps internet at work.

Do any of you guys have experience with that?

Edited by philippelamoureux

I have a 25mbps internet @ home and a 90+ mbps internet at work.

Normally the upstream should be the limiting factor - unless you have a symmetric connection.

I use Windows Remote Desktop for LAN connections with my nodes and servers and TeamViewer over the I-net.

Recently i found AnyDesk http://anydesk.com/remote-desktop but i didn't try it until now. But from this comparison (their own) it should be more than twice as fast any even more on latency http://anydesk.com/benchmark/anydesk-benchmark.pdf

Edited by numerobis

I use GoToMyPC, it works nicely. You pay for a single machine, meaning it's not both ways between my laptop and my workstation. The laptop can connect to the PC, but not the other way around. They will sell me additional connections, of course. The speed is pretty good. Mostly I use it for uploading files to render and then grabbing the results later, also to retrieve files I realize I need but are only on my studio machine. I work at a client's office a lot.

• 5 years later...

I have used Anydesk in the studio for a few years now, it works fine for most tasks including 3ds max as long as internet is stable both ways and is quite a bit cheaper than teamviewer . Before that we used teamviewer, personally found that a big more laggy for working. There is always going to be a slight compromise with any internet solutions, and if you need to render while using it you can run in to even more lag obviously. I wouldn't like to work consistently in unreal though, just due to the inherent FPS issues you are likely to get, would need very good up and down speeds to make that smooth in my opinion, with very smooth latency.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...