orbital scale using the daylight system.

jonathan Evans

franscico ive read and watched couple tutorials . i ve seen the hieght changes the value from day to night . the actual distance ive heard doesnt affect the scene is this true . I am not refering to the hieght but the distance away from the scene

The following are the ifrom the link you provided. I am still confused about some areas which mention below. hopefully you can clarify these or some other member thank you

Orbital Scale

Sets the distance of the sun (the directional light) from the compass rose. Because a directional light casts parallel beams, this distance has no effect on the accuracy of the sunlight. However, the light must point toward your model (not away from it), and the light's hotspot and falloff do have an effect.

The best way to ensure that the light is set up correctly is to change one viewport to the light's view (for example, Sun 01). Then adjust the light's location using Dolly, and set the hotspot so it illuminates the whole model, with no falloff.

this is the part . i am reffering to below . Does it have no effect.

"this distance has no effect on the accuracy of the sunlight. "

How can i set up the viewport to the lights view port.

sorry alot of qeustions thank you much appreciated .

Edited by hansolohan

it is what it said, "this distance has no effect on the accuracy of the sunlight. "

parallel or infinite lights do not have an specific origin point, they just work, (it is magic :p)

if you use the map location and time zone to setup your sun position, it will place the orbital scale to a default always right position, but in Mental Ray or V-Ray it does not have any effect, that I am aware of.

in your Viewport, upper left corner where you setup your views, cameras or perspective, there is an option called light, there it will show you any light you have in your scene, if you click on it, you point of view will be from the light selected.

Ok ive sused the basic setting of the vray sun . Ive used a vray skylight and used the sky portal setting.. Ive not linked the sky portal to the vray sun . The sky portal did draw the light into the room i think . The first image has no indirect illumination the 2nd image has direct illunination settings enabled .

cheers always learning any tips appreciated

v ray sun.jpg