Best way to model braided-checker pattern

rodolfofanti

Hi guys,

I've just modeled an armchair which ideally should have the back covered by this pattern:

pattern1.jpg?raw=1

I wanted to model the detail instead of using displacement and I was wondering how to proceed. I was thinking maybe to model a sample of the pattern and then somehow "wrap" it on the armchair mesh but I'm quite clueless.

Any help will be immensely appreciated :)

my best to you all

A displacement map displaces the geometry of surfaces. The effect is similar to using the displace modifier. Unlike bump mapping

displacement mapping actually changes the geometry of the surface or patch tessellation. Displacement maps apply the gray scale of the map to generate the displacement. Lighter colors in the 2D image push outward more strongly than darker colors, resulting in a 3D displacement of the geometry.

side note

A displacement map generates many triangular faces per surface, sometimes over 1M faces per surface. While displacement mapping can create good effects, there is a large cost in terms of time and memory.

The displacement Amount is measured as a percentage of the diagonal of the bounding box for the object that contains the patch or surface. This makes the displacement effect consistent for all surfaces in an object, and it also means that when you scale the object, the displacement is scaled with it.

that all depends on you, if you just throw on a UVW Map or an UVW unwrap, they both do different things as you know, if you use a UVW map then you can just assign the texture and change the tiling

the unwrap you can select each side of the texture and assign it to where it needs to be. a example book where you have the back front and side of the book you can place the texture where it needs to be

it all depends what you like, and what is looks like

oh i never texture anything until i finished my models

I cannot type today!

Edited by tonybishop

Just model a tileable patch, ie the image you showed. Then use a script like populate panels (http://populate3d.com/products/panels/) to have it deform across your furniture surface. It it is a simple enough surface, you could do it with just a good ole FFD box.

Or you can use that same patch and generate displacement maps from it, similar to this tutorial by Peter Guthrie. http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/2010/06/free-texture-expanded-metal or this one http://www.pixelab.be/blog/2007/09/26/tutorial-creating-v-ray-displacement-maps-from-hi-poly-tiling-geometry/

To get the gaps in the fabric with displacement, assuming you are using the vray displacement modifier, you can use the water level which Peter covers in his tutorial.

It all depends on your needed level of detail and how close this will be to your final camera. Displacement will never get you that fine detail of fabric going over and under itself. You can add in some more maps like a small AO map for extra detail in your diffuse texture, but to truly get that ultra realistic detail you need to be in full geometry mode.