Google Compute Engine and Devlopers Console - Render Farm

TomD_Arch

I tried to set this up thinking it would be easy, but there is nothing easy about this unless you have a degree in network administration or something...

"The basic setup of the file server is having an instance equipped with enough RAM to accommodate for good file caching performance. We use an n1-highmem-4 instance as a file server to serve 50 n1-standard-32 rendering instances. Then we attach additional persistent disk storage (in increments of 1.5TB for high IOPS) to the file server instance to hold projects and applications. Using ZFS for this pool of persistent disks, the file server's storage can be increased on-demand, even while rendering is in progress. For increased ZFS caching performance, local SSD disks can be attached to the file server instance (feature in beta). It’s all really up to what you need for your specific project. Set up will vary based on how many instances you’re planning on using, and what kind of performance you’re looking for." -Fredrik Averpil, Technical Director at Industriromantik

WTF???

Has anyone else tried to use Google's service? I thought this was going to be a lot easier to set up. More intuitive.

all those virtual machines/cloud solutions are not easy setup yet, no matter how much they said or their sales songs :)

They need some IT know how to setup and maintenance, you also need to think of software Licensing too.

Of course someone will pop here saying that they love it and it not that hard, but for a regular artist, a render farm company still a best deal.

The main advantage can be, availability and easy to scale. but honestly if you already found a good rendering service those should not be a problem.

I tried to set this up thinking it would be easy, but there is nothing easy about this unless you have a degree in network administration or something...

"The basic setup of the file server is having an instance equipped with enough RAM to accommodate for good file caching performance. We use an n1-highmem-4 instance as a file server to serve 50 n1-standard-32 rendering instances. Then we attach additional persistent disk storage (in increments of 1.5TB for high IOPS) to the file server instance to hold projects and applications. Using ZFS for this pool of persistent disks, the file server's storage can be increased on-demand, even while rendering is in progress. For increased ZFS caching performance, local SSD disks can be attached to the file server instance (feature in beta). It’s all really up to what you need for your specific project. Set up will vary based on how many instances you’re planning on using, and what kind of performance you’re looking for." -Fredrik Averpil, Technical Director at Industriromantik

WTF???

Has anyone else tried to use Google's service? I thought this was going to be a lot easier to set up. More intuitive.

Looking at their "About" page, they are some pretty serious heavy hitters!

You're not talking Peter Guthrie stuff here, you're talking a team stocked with TD's from vfx firms at the level of Weta and ILM by the sounds of it.

Hi,

Actually the pricing is not that attractive as one would expect. :(

Google have solution for rendering frames automatically (they bought Zync render farm some time ago), unfortunately, if you use them, you will be asked to pay hefty premium on top of not so attractive Google prices, but it shall work smoothly and without any setting up on your side.

Regarding setting up everything by yourself, I wouldn't recommend it, unless you are studio that can spare TD (or two) on the project, or student/hobbyist with plenty of free time and no deadlines...

I am running commercial render farm (GarageFarm.NET) for past 5 years and I must say it's not the easiest business to run. But if you like challenges, then of course nothing is impossible.

Edited by tomeks