Mapping

CHE

Nisus,

I'm just a little confused, I'm new in VIZ/MAX mapping procedures. Actually, I'm going to map and add textures to my first model using VIZ (a house)

http://communities.msn.com/VisualRevolutions/michoacanprojectnew.msnw

It's hard for me to tell which way to go. (UV Mapping or Standard Projection) You know what I mean? The Majority of the tutorials or books I have read so far are focused strictly to non-architectural models. All I want is an advised. Like, what to look for and what to avoid. Do you have an special technique? Is there an established procedure? (Step by step?) :confused:

[ May 24, 2002, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: CHE ]

Hi CHE, these are my tips for a Viz user -

dont make things more complicated than you need to. Allot of ppl will talk and plugins like texporter, uv-unwrap etc... but more of these techniques are usually for multi face id game character mapping, where a 512x512 px map is used to map yuor low poly models.

forget all that - to complicated. Architectural texturing is pretty easy when you get into it.

first off i strongly suggest reading a couple of basic tuts on the various mapping types and their basic uses.

first tip - use proceedurals as little as possible. imho proceedural mapping really is crap and stands out a mile as being so artificail.

Use real bitmapping. the better and bigger the pixel size (or resolution) the better, all to avoid tiling and the 'carpeting' effect.

then the majority of mapping i use is the BOX icon. so simple and effective. and why not? if it does the job then use it. flat plane mapping is also a must, also learn about face ID'ing - most important.

curve objects are then mapped with spherical or cylindrical mapping.

once you've got to grips with these mose basic of mapping techniques you have enough there to texture up anything.

just dont over complicate things first off for a newbie. it is easier than it looks. i assure you. just practice.

hope it works.