Card for VR

komyali

Ok this is mixed thread, so I posted here because most people visit general discussion

I have gtx 660 OC, really I dont need beter card at moment, works perfectly, but I am thinking about VR set, and like I can see you need serious power for VR set. Solution buy GTX900 series or buy another gtx 660OC put it in SLI mode and save my budget? One card per eye would be perfect if that type of rendering is possible :D

Bring it on :D

What you mean with VR set??

Oculus rif resolution is full HD, and depending of the app you are running you don't need really a big video card. Other VR set such, Samsung VR run on Phones.

If you want to run Unreal apps, in that case you be better with new video cards, but this depend of the size of your scene/presentation too.

if you'll display on Oculus, again the resolution will be limited to HD so your GTX 660 may be OK.

my rule of thumb is, just try and see how your actual hardware perform, if you really feel you need more muscle then spend the money in something better.

I dont want to be rude, but if we talk about VR set and graphic card, ofcourse we are not talking about google carboard, I am not redneck xD

I am looking at OSVR, it looks to me like it had better hardware then Oculus. Anyway , I will listen to your thumb, but shall I buy SLI or new card? :D

Well you never know how proficient people are in forums, we have different levels. People still asking if a better video card will speed up their V-Ray renderings.

if you use SLI you'll have better performance, depending of the app, but you still have the memory limit of your card in your case 2Gb??? if I remember right. Again if your device is just HD you won't see much performance increase with SLI system.

Here at the office we have Oculus Rift 2, and it run the same with a Quadro 4000 and a GTX 580. Now if I run a full screen Unreal scene in my computer monitor, the Quadro will be screaming and very low FPS and the GTX will be just fine.

90 fps?! da f*** so I need sli with 980 ti xD

2Gb of ram is enough for graphic card, 4 Gb is better but now I am in dilema :D

I will test it with gtx 660 oc if it need more I would buy one mogre gtx 660 :D

little better fps on 970 but nothing important.