Good Afternoon Old Chaps From England

alexford

Good afternoon all!

I've had this account for some time (mainly used for perving on other peoples renders) but seen as how I intend on diving into ArchVis on a more serious and permanent level I'd better introduce myself.

My name is Alex, and I'm an Architect Technologist. My passion is architecture and technology so as you can imagine ArchVis is right up my ally!

I look forward to bombarding this forum with questions. First of which is render engine.

I've decided to use 3ds Max, but should I go with V-ray or Corona?

I hear Corona is easier, but can be somewhat slower than V-ray. I quite like the results I've seen for both.

dare i ask what an 'architect technologist' is?

I believe it's what we probably call an architectural draftsman er.. person or used to call a draughtsman back in the days we could spell.

As for your Vray / Corona conundrum Alex, they're just tools, most of the good guys on here are going to produce great work with just about any renderer.

Pick whichever works for you - price / convenience / complexity / simplicity and give it a go. Vray has held popularity for a long time for good reason, Corona is gaining popularity also for good reason.

Maybe think about where your next steps in the industry might be and therefore - if it's employment in your vicinity, perhaps look into what your potential employers might use and think of going down that road to make yourself a more attractive employee. Try and be one step ahead.

dare i ask what an 'architect technologist' is?

arch vis dude?

Certainly. An architect technologist CIAT is a 4 year degree, rather than your usual 7 year RIBA which covers everything, a technologist main focus is the technical side of architecture. How the building comes together etc..

It's quite fascinating but being very passionate about design I probably should of gone down the RIBA route. It certainly looks allot more fun!

There are a few differences to both. An Architect RIBA can start their own practise right away I believe, a technologist on the other hand would have to have done 4 years in the industry first.

I believe it's what we probably call an architectural draftsman er.. person or used to call a draughtsman back in the days we could spell.

As for your Vray / Corona conundrum Alex, they're just tools, most of the good guys on here are going to produce great work with just about any renderer.

Pick whichever works for you - price / convenience / complexity / simplicity and give it a go. Vray has held popularity for a long time for good reason, Corona is gaining popularity also for good reason.

Maybe think about where your next steps in the industry might be and therefore - if it's employment in your vicinity, perhaps look into what your potential employers might use and think of going down that road to make yourself a more attractive employee. Try and be one step ahead.

Sound advice C G,

I'm planning to work freelance so industry standard isn't really an issue though something to keep in mind should my situation change.

From what I've seen scouring the internet, Corona is faster / more straight forward to set up a render but slower when it comes to the actual render. V-ray can be a bit more difficult but with more flexibility.

That said allot of posts I've looked at have varied in dates published so may be completely irrelevant today. I will sample both and see which I'm most comfortable with.

Thank you for your input!