C4D R9 Crashing

Frosty

For the past few weeks I've been battelling crash after crash after crash with R9. It got Worse after updating my Nvidia drivers and to top it off OGL was useless.

I was certain my crashes were display driver related as they always happened while orbiting or panning in the view port. After updating to the newest NVidia drivers (66.93 I believe) Open GL was destroyed. I couldnt even mouse over a view port without CPU usage jumping to 100% and the cursor jumping wildy across the screen. This also occured in R8.

I just retro-graded my display drivers to 40.41 and everything seems to be working as normal.

Has anyone else experienced this?

FYI: I am using an older GF4 Ti 4400 card on an Asus board with a P4HT. I am in communication with Maxon to try and resolve this even tho it is most likely NVidia's problem.

Those drivers are tricky little bastards. I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble.

I have not used C as intensely as you, but no, I have NOT had crashing with v 8.5 or in the few days I've had 9.

I have my settings with OpenGL ON and it has been fine. I did notice that there was a pop-up warning about some O/GL settings in the C9 'prefs'. My card is a Quadro750. I have not been agressive with driver updates because I am still using Lightscape. While it's OpenGL performance is faster than anything else I use, it is old enough to have many driver-related problems. So when one works, you stick with it.

I'm writing this on a different machine so cannot check which driver I'm using, but I will and report back.

I'm still facing network issues (see post in 'hardware') but C9 has been fantastic so far.

I had problems with 9 crashing, quite regularly, opening numerous view windows would do it all the time.

Was told to get latest drivers, or switch to 'software render' in the 'viewport' 'preferences'. C4D works fine now.

Mac 10.3.5 with a nvidia card

Have you tried using the software render?

Lee

Have you tried using the software render?

Yes, I have been forced to use software rendering as the OGL is far to slow to be usable. With OGL, CPU usage spikes and the system crawls, but ONLY when my cursor is over a viewport.

I have tested this on R9 and R8 on two different PCs with two different video cards - both NVidia.

Yes, I have been forced to use software rendering as the OGL is far to slow to be usable. With OGL, CPU usage spikes and the system crawls, but ONLY when my cursor is over a viewport. I have tested this on R9 and R8 on two different PCs with two different video cards - both NVidia.

Then it is probably a driver thing. I'm using O/GL on my nvidia and have no display issues in C, or any other program except FormZ (which is just f*ing slow).

I just visited the nvidia site to try to track down the driver I'm using. They used to have the current one plus a list of alternatives--not anymore. The one on my main C9 machine is 51.something There are some sites on the web that have older drivers, so try to track down some of the alternatives. The point is--unless there is a hardware problem, you should be able to use OpenGL in Cinema without any trouble.

It most certainly is a driver issue. Soooooo, a word of warning! Stay away from the newest Nvidia drivers unless you have a backup of the older ones you can move back to. I dont know if the problems I am experiencing relate to the 66.93 drivers or those drivers in conjunction with my video card.

Do you know where I can gt the 52.16 version?

I figured, why not just email it to you. But I'm not even sure if that is the correct number. The display props list the version as nv4disp = 6.14.10.5216 which I take to be version 52.16

Yet I only have the files for 43.45 and 43.51 (WHLQ) saved in my 'drivers' folder, suggesting it's really one of those.

• 2 weeks later...

I didnt get a link or a file Ernest. I have been speaking with Maxon support tho. The issue has moved up the chain to Germany now and I expect Maxon will be dealing with NVidia soon. I couldnt have been the only person experiencing this.

However frustrating this has been, my system is quite stable now.

I didnt get a link or a file Ernest.

Oh! I had responded to your email with a link. I found the file on another computer in my studio.

http://www.oreally.com/temp/52.16_win2kxp_english_whql.exe

let me know when you've DL'ed the file, so I can clear it off my site.

As usual, use with caution--drivers are dangerous. But with this one Cinema has been almost 100% stable under XP on my Boxx.

With "they" nVidia is menat, since Maxon can not change the driver which is at fault here.

Björn

Great to see you here! This may be a smaller C4D community than that of cgtalk.com, but we represent a growing segment of C's userbase.

But does that mean ANY driver, or just one, or a related group of them. As I said earlier in the post, I have been trouble-free with Ciname on nVidia hardware and driver.

Keep in mind I'm only shooting in the dark here, but my gut tells me that it was only the NVidia "game cards" and the newest drivers that were affected. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ernest I think you have a Quadro card and were using slightly older drivers. I'm still stuck with an old GF4 Ti.

Keep in mind I'm only shooting in the dark here, but my gut tells me that it was only the NVidia "game cards" and the newest drivers that were affected. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ernest I think you have a Quadro card and were using slightly older drivers. I'm still stuck with an old GF4 Ti.

Yes, on my main workstation its a Quadro750 and an older driver. Point being--once a driver works, don't change it just because there is a newer one.

Remember that I have had to keep Lightscape functioning on each new machine I buy, and it is very picky about drivers. So I know to not mess with what is working. On my W2K machine I was using the oldest driver published for the Elsa GF2 card in it. Anything newer and we have the dreaded 'selection bugs', but not with that one driver. It's still on that machine. Cinema is running on it, but only under NetRender so no display necessary.

Did you ever try the 52 driver, Steve? Did it help?

I have little to do other than write a review of R9.

Oh, only that. That could take quite a long time. With all the discussion of the 'age' of AR and looking to plug-in render engines, we are bypassing the depth of v9. Pretty much solid for several weeks I have been playing with the modules, using the Maxon supplied files and many that are available on the web as starting points to learn. I cannot say I've come up with much to show, but the vastness of capabilities this program has is staggering. Heck, soon I may even be able to model something with Cinema!