#Brexit

Chris MacDonald

How do you feel about foreign workers? CNN ran a report a couple of weeks ago about a small town in the UK showing how locals were fed up with these foreigners (mentioned Polish and Latvian) who were mooching off the social assistance programs and who were frequently drunk and disorderly and just wreaking havoc on the community. Almost all people interviewed were vehemently pro exit in order to be able to better control the problem.

Here's a similar article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2272195/The-town-thats-We-visit-town-countrys-biggest-influx-East-Europeans.html

I personally work with 3 Polish immigrants in my office. They are (and I'm not making this up) genuinely some of the hardest working people I've ever met, and thoroughly interesting too.

I see all manner of eastern europeans around town - generally fairly easy to spot, they dress differently. There are at least half a dozen polish mini-markets here too. Not once have I ever had any trouble from any of them, and nor has anyone I know.

The problem stems from xenophobia. I remember a year or so ago our local newspaper ran an article (via facebook) about a polish woman opening a small polish supermarket and the comments on it were absolutely disgraceful, enough to make you ashamed of being British. From the weird "If I can't afford that, how can she?" to "We've already got enough, **** off back to where you came from" and then even some mentioning hitler and gas chambers.

The problem I find is that it's always the small minded, uneducated people that shout loudest. I've tried my best on social media to address them all, but I am comfortably outnumbered.

Also, word of warning; don't believe a thing the daily mail says. It's well known here for its constant fear mongering, doom and gloom. It's a truly AWFUL newspaper. A quick search for "worst daily mail headlines", etc will soon show you the kind of paper it is.

Edited by Macker

We can send you Trump, we certainly don't want him. He loves walls, terrific, beautiful walls. Yuuuuuuge walls. And he'll get Poland to pay for it. He panders to the hillbilly class of people who are unemployed themselves and yelling at all of the damn foreigners to get off welfare to go back to Canada or wherever.

It says right in the article that it wasn't entrance into the EU that caused the influx, it was their own government who didn't act and create some level of labor restrictions. So if they exit and those restrictions are still non-existent, you are still going to have people flocking to the border towns.

Not that we here in the US can give you any advice or should be judging you. We're not exactly excelling at handling our own immigration issues.

I listened to a couple of Gresham College podcasts this afternoon on the issue on my way home from work.

http://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and-events/eu-debate-should-the-uk-leave-or-remain

It seems state sovereignty is an issue. With your parliament being subject to ECJ rulings. Granted, there is "article 50" in the EU constitution that lets a member state leave, thereby getting out of ECJ rulings. Props to the EU if they actually abide by that 50 years, especially if one of the wealthy nations wants to leave. But then again, supreme courts have a way of reinterpreting constitutions to find laws and precedents that aren't written in them, and excluding ones that are. I do think the US is a good example of that.

The EU has its own supreme court, legislative body, diplomatic body, currency, military. I think it is at least something like a country...

Interesting times ahead for all.

Rate of exchange is dropping fast.

Irish companies who do business with England are not competitive at the moment.

60% of our business as a nation is with England.

I really don't think they know what they have done.

Boris and Trump..............holy jasus..............