Vray exe for Lightwave

Mario Pende

• 1 month later...

I hope they will quickly write the LW interface right now after the SDK opening of the 8.2 release.

I am not satisfied with FPrime and the AA "improvement" of the 8.2, and I really think about switching for another 3D package (Max) or wait for another external renderer (Vray-exe, Kray)...

:(

...I am not satisfied with...the AA "improvement" of the 8.2...

I dared not to say it =( ; It know the algorythms from old 3d apps, and they are for very specific situations: certainly not for highly detailed models in video resolution.

Don't set your mind on a VRay standalone...they haven't even released 1.5 yet.

As for Maxwell: they may have a LW-connection faster, but you'll first have to wait if it is usable for large scale architectural animations.

For interior (esp.animations) I love Lightscape, but since this will soon be instinct, ATM I use VRay for this and am testing finalRender. It seems fR is quite faster if you know the tricks and do some simulated light rigs. However there are some AA-problems on specific meshes.

Kray ???...Hmmm...

Let's wait, test and see.

I'm not sure I understand your post Trick.

Yes the LW renderer is old but it was well ahead of it's time before development (almost) stopped a couple of years back.

It's not perfect but it is still VERY good.

I keep reading of TV and film directors talking about the LW render engine as 'their secret weapon' due to its quality and ease of use, the most recent being the Nike trainer commercial with the robotic legs and the Transformer car ads.

For architecture, it comes into its own with huge complex scenes which grind other renderers I've tried to a halt. Also, reflection and refraction have less effect on speed than anything else I've used (esp. with FPrime).

I also love finding the best viewpoint of a big scene using the Camera View.

Saying all that, it would be nice to have some alternatives to try but that seems to be on the cards now.

IC,

I know what you mean: I also use LW for all exterior renderings. But I thought it was clear that I need an alternative for fast interior stuff ;) If you can show me detailed interior renderings in PAL resolution ala Lightscape done in LW (NOT FPrime) in max.5min.per frame (P4, 3GHz), then I would be the luckiest man on earth, for not needing to switch ;)

I couldn't claim to got any of my best interiors in under 5 minutes but I can get great results in about 10 using the SGAmbOcc Plug in with the lowest quality radiosity settings.

Btw, there's a demo of Kray available now.

There is more then ONE world difference between ambient occlusion and Lightscape. AO does NOT say something about shadow DEPTH and COLOR and BLEEDING...With a good lighting setup I can also get beautiful images at 5min, but we're talking about GI and Radiosity (thread title!), not Ambient Occlusion...

Actually, I wonder why it is now taken for granted all architectural renderings must be done with GI? Well if your renderer supports fast GI why not, but when it's not so fast (ie. LW), why bother when with some training in advanced lighting one could do as good rendering without GI as any GI renderer could.

Actually I thought clients always choose the most beautiful image, not necessarily the GI rendered one.... and check CG effects in Hollywood films. No GI there....

The Thread Title was "Vray exe for Lightwave"

Lightscape interiors look great but they're not 'true' simulations of real world lighting-nothing is. It's all just an approximation.

Use whatever you like best and gives you the best results.

Makes sense to me.

• 1 year later...
IC,

I know what you mean: I also use LW for all exterior renderings. But I thought it was clear that I need an alternative for fast interior stuff ;) If you can show me detailed interior renderings in PAL resolution ala Lightscape done in LW (NOT FPrime) in max.5min.per frame (P4, 3GHz), then I would be the luckiest man on earth, for not needing to switch ;)

It can be done. We do it all the time. Here are some examples:

http://www.2dimes.com

Learning how to use area lights and occlusion are a key.

We aren't trying to be "real world". We are trying to have a good feel to the project - this is marketing. Similar to architectural photography is our approach - not realism per se, as most spaces look like crap without supplemental and specific colored lighting.

Good luck.