Weird blue circles problem (Viz + Vray)

jledezma

Po meu, it is VRay, vei. :p

It was working nice on Low settings then I raised to High for the final image and voila... there are your blue circles! :mad:

Hey jysngltndz... can I call you Jys? The material on the wall doesn't has a UVW but its material doesnt have any texture. Do I need to apply map coordinates anyways?

Hi Jorge,

Sometimes this happens when a standard material has too high a specular value. I had this same thing happen and that seemed to be the culprit. A low-quality solution looked great and the high-quality had the spots.

This can also be caused by rogue raytrace maps or materials in your scene. If you use any Architectural Materials, they use raytracing almost always and you can't override it.

For a general trouble-shooting guide, try this link:

http://www.metinseven.com/article_vray_splotches.htm

Metin is very knowledgeable.

Nice work, BTW. :)

Log in the VRAY forums and do a search, the metin's guide that FRAN posted, is a "Must have", but in the Vray forums, you'll find long threads about this "colored" splotches issue and its solutions.

Fran, this is a simple VRay material, doesn't even have an specular slot. And since it is rendered in VRay I can't even use the architectural material. I've seen this Metin tut before. The 3 artifacts that he describes here don't look like the one I've got tough. Anyways, I'll try to use his tips for the third kind: Harsh artifacts.

Slaf, do you mean http://www.vray.info, http://www.chaoticdimension.com or any other?

Hey jysngltndz... can I call you Jys? The material on the wall doesn't has a UVW but its material doesnt have any texture. Do I need to apply map coordinates anyways?

it may sound awkward but apllying map coordinates solve most of my splotches problems... just give it a shot...

jys????... "soon" will do...

:D:D

Fran, this is a simple VRay material, doesn't even have an specular slot. And since it is rendered in VRay I can't even use the architectural material. I've seen this Metin tut before. The 3 artifacts that he describes here don't look like the one I've got tough. Anyways, I'll try to use his tips for the third kind: Harsh artifacts.

Slaf, do you mean http://www.vray.info, http://www.chaoticdimension.com or any other?

The spots aren't necessarily caused by the material of the surface on which they appear. It could be your grass or some other material in the scene. Make sure that any objects that use materials with bitmaps are UV mapped. Also, make sure that any bitmaps have Apply checked in the Crop/Place section of the Bitmap parameters.

If all of your scene materials are VRay materials, then specular level is not the problem. You might want to double-check the scene materials from the Material/Map Browser (set the viewing to Scene). Another thing that VRay doesn't like is multi/sub-object materials that mix material types - you don't want to mix Standard and VRay mats, for example.

FYI, you can use Arch mats with VRay but they won't render in the ME if VRay is the ME renderer. The problem with them is that, unless they are ideal diffuse, the materials will use the raytracer.

Seems to me the more recent builds of vray have been giving me at least more problems with mats.

Other things to check for:

Diffuse color for glass. If you need blue glass use fog color not diffuse.

Try to stay away from brightening a map with OUTPUT settings.

And Yes UVW MODIFIERS to everything.

I was up most of the weekend finding out those problems.

FYI, you can use Arch mats with VRay but they won't render in the ME if VRay is the ME renderer. The problem with them is that, unless they are ideal diffuse, the materials will use the raytracer.

Ohh! :eek: Too much knowledge!!!

I still have the problem. I have mapped a lot of things, even those that doesn't need mapping. Reduce the strenght of the door lights (I've never liked those any ways but the client keeps thinking those lights will be stronger than the sun :rolleyes: )

The only thing that worked is changing HSph subdivision to 70 and Interpolation Samples to 45. But it just work on Low preset with 640x480. As soon as I change to 800x600 or Medium preset... blue spots all over again :mad:

because the spots are blue and your glass is blue,my first guess would be the glass material is causing this

try a render whitout the glass to see

try a render whitout -everytime- another material to eliminate the culprit...

when al solutions are not doing the trick then just use plain logic...

oh and please vote for me peoples... i'm running 2nd... just missing a couple of votes :)

I always use multi/subobject materials and got never problem with vray. I also use standard materials mixed with vraymats. Hmmm thats pretty interesting what you say, never heard about.

Well, I'm not making it up. This is just stuff I've heard on the VRay forum.

Does this mean I can stop worrying about it? :)

Well, at the end I had to turn off the door lamps. :mad:

You could try excluding the lamp objects from generating GI in VRay object properties. Did you try hiding only a portion of the lamp to see if the artifacts are related to a material on one of the objects?

Well, I'm not making it up. This is just stuff I've heard on the VRay forum.

Does this mean I can stop worrying about it? :)

I Have had problems with mxing material types in an MSO material, but only when it applys to blocks or ADT objects.

Generally the problem I have is not that the objects throw off splotches, but that they don't receive GI correctly, so they appear dark in the rendering.

-Chad