suggest web hosting company that isn't Earthlink?

I am close to fed up with Earthlink, with whom I've had at least one site hosted for about 20 years. Right now, it's four. But they are not a company that has much interest in their paying customers, beyond whether your card payment goes through. On the technical side, things work very well, there is almost never downtime, plenty of throughput for serving video. But if you need to interact, there is no one besides an overseas call-catcher with people who are nice enough but cannot do anything about anything.

Oh, and they have f-ing ads on my webmail page. You put up with ads to get free email. Not cool.

I'm thinking of moving one .com domain first.

I would want lots of storage, bandwidth, built-in Wordpress, the usual, but also reliability and accountability. They should be in the US. For this (except accountability) I am paying Earthlink about $35/month

Suggestions?

I've been using Bluehost for years and rarely have an issue with them. I also find that WordPress sites load twice as fast when I migrate sites from GoDaddy to Bluehost.

Note the link is an affiliate link. I use it because at random times it goes on sale through that link. Hope that helps you out Ernest.

Godaddy is pretty good and their customer service is great.

The site I am thinking about moving first started on Godaddy, had to move it because Godaddy throttles throughput after serving the first few megabytes (at least 4 or 5 years ago). So a video starts playing nicely, then stalls and buffers. I don't have a lot of video to play or high traffic, but even ONE play didn't go through before the slowdown. Maybe that policy has changed since.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump!

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me?

Earthlink is really messing up lately. I snail-mailed a letter to their corporate office (as that is the only way they publish) pointing out issues that make it suck being a customer. Waiting on a reply.... waiting....

Today their webmail pages for legacy hosting customers just loops back to the page that launches it. I need to install an email client on my laptop and download everything from their servers and FIND A NEW COMPANY.

ARGHHHH.

GRRRRRR.

EDIT: Dreamhost and Bluehost both look good, so thanks for those leads

Edited by Ernest Burden

from an email today:

That's my direct email address, so hang onto it just in case you ever need a bit of extra assistance with anything!

Thanks again for choosing DreamHost, and have a great day!

Cathee S

Customer Experience Manager

Managed Hosting Marketing Coordinator

DreamHost.com

In your face, Earthlink! Your lack of customer service has cost you a decades-loyal customer. Enjoy the lack of my money from now on.

from an email today:

In your face, Earthlink! Your lack of customer service has cost you a decades-loyal customer. Enjoy the lack of my money from now on.

and that's why Internet should stay free and open, if the big guys finally wrap their arms around the internet it will be just like cable service. the worse thing that can happens to a media.