nvlddmkm.sys BSOD after closing 3ds Max

I have been able to run Max 2015 and 2017 fine, but every time I close them I get a BSOD. The memory dump says nvlddmkm.sys which I know is a GPU error. I updated the drivers to 372.54, that didn't solve it.

It seemed to start happening around the time I installed FStorm or Forest Pack. I removed FStorm and that didn't change anything. I was hoping not to uninstall Forest Pack, but could that really be the problem?

Any insight is appreciated. I'm going crazy!

Windows 10

i7-6800k

GTX 970

Do a clean uninstall of nVidia drivers and re-install them.

If it doesn't work doing the clean uninstall through nVidia's own routine within their driver's package, try the Display Driver Uninstaller.

Some time ago with Win XP, you needed to disable the Aero theme effects for it not to happen occasionally...only with nVidia GPUs, cause - as we all know - their drivers work so much better all the time :p

Thanks Dimitris,

Unfortunately DDU and re-install didn't solve the problem. Every time I get the error and start Max again I'm getting the UI "workspace_1__usersave__.mnux is invalid" error and it won't open unless I rename the UI folder. Have you ever heard of that?

On the crazy off chance that someone runs into this problem again some day, I'll leave what I found here.

I ordered a network license for Forest Pack Pro but just installed the license service on my computer because I was too impatient. I could open Max and use FPP fine, but when I closed Max it would try to release the license and I would get a BSOD.

I have no idea how that makes sense. But I got the license server installed on the proper machine and everything works as intended. It's the only thing that changed.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh my god, i found this thread because I'm having the same problem. It also started to happen when instaled forest pack pro some days ago.

But i ordered a stand-alone license of FPP so i don't know how to fix this.

I have allready contacted itoo software and say it's the first time they know about this. I will point them to this page.

Any help will be apreciated

Thank you

Hi Pablo,

I actually never got this figured out. I prematurely said it was solved because I thought it was, but I think it just wasn't happening to empty scenes. I've tried everything and I can't figure it out. I just turn off my computer without closing Max now. But now that I know it's not just me hopefully we can fix this.

Oh! sorry to hear that.

So you still have the problem? i did try to install the license server just in case but i still have the problem.

Now i have unistalled FPP and everything is fine again.

I can't belive this is caused by the plugin and there is no more info about it.

Edited by octopus

• 4 months later...
Oh my god, i found this thread because I'm having the same problem. It also started to happen when instaled forest pack pro some days ago.

But i ordered a stand-alone license of FPP so i don't know how to fix this.

I have allready contacted itoo software and say it's the first time they know about this. I will point them to this page.

Any help will be apreciated

Thank you

I'm getting BSOD's (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) on Windows 10 after I close Max too (both 2015 and 2017), come to think of it I installed Forest Pack around the time they began. Gonna uninstall and test to see if they go away

EDIT: tentatively, upgrading to the latest beta (Jan 29, 2017) seems to work. Have done some renders and closed Max and reopened and done other stuff on the PC and closed. No BSOD's so far

Edited by Richard7666