Digimation characters

esilvis

Hi

I purchased Character Studio Characters by Digimation. Preset characters with bones systems. The problem I am having is when I bring the models into Max the figures are only about 1'4" tall.

Any input on how I can make the figures full height?

Thanks

Eric

Thanks Ernest for your reply. Always enjoy reading your comments.

When the figure is first opened in Max. The units are set to generic.

Figure measures 16 generic units. When I change units to US Standard-feet w/fractional inches, the figure measures about 1'4".

With units set to metric, the figure is about .4 meters.

I have tried scaling the figure node, but that doesnt seem to work.

over all figure scaling doesnt work.

If the model is in meters, and I change the unit setup to feet , would the model measure correctly?

Eric

Figure measures 16 generic units.

Then its obviously a metric scaled object. 1.6 meters is a reasonable height for a human figure.

I don't know Max and I got my head bitten off by a Max developer in the 'Maxwell' thread for saying Max does not use real units. So it's a matter of figuring out how to force the object to load as 1.6 meters.

Thanks Ernest for your reply. Always enjoy reading your comments.

Figure measures 16 generic units. When I change units to US Standard-feet w/fractional inches, the figure measures about 1'4".

With units set to metric, the figure is about .4 meters.

I have tried scaling the figure node, but that doesnt seem to work.

over all figure scaling doesnt work.

If the model is in meters, and I change the unit setup to feet , would the model measure correctly?

Eric

Try this:

1. Create a new scene or reset your present one.

2. Set the appropriate unit setup of your scene, meter, mm, inches, etc.(the system unit setup should be the same as the Display unit Scale, please see attached image). dont forget to check the "Respect System Units in Files".

3. Merge the character that you want to merge, and max will automatically scale it up with the current Units.

Hope this helps.

Wendell,

One would think that would work but I couldnt get that to.

A box created in unit scale of meters, merged into a file with units set to feet and inches is still a box. 1 meter = 39.37 inches.

The image posted shows three figures. Left figure is a Poser figure with bones applied in Max. Center figure is a Digimation figure merged with no bones, scaled,then bones appled in Max. The right figure is a Digimation figure with bones already applied. What I did with the center Digimatiom figures was to scale the base model (center) and add bones in Max. This makes the model to full scale. The left figure is an original figure from Digimation that is at the incorrect height when merged...does not scale appropriately.

I talked with a Digimation on the phone, they said it was a Character Studio issue in Max. Not sure I agree. I posted this question in the Digimation forum no responce yet.

So my work around is to use Digimations base models, scale them up and apply a bone system in Max. Defeats the purpose of them already supplying figures with bones, but it works.

I do aquatic illustrations and it is nice to have people interacting with the environment. This whole excerise is to get models that I can quicly repose in Max.

Enough out of me. Thanks for letting me explore this topic outloud.

Eric

Aquatic illustrations in Beaver Dam? Tell Ken and Richard I said 'Hi'.

For what you are trying to do, you might want to look into some of the resort people from Archvision. They look a great deal better than the Digimation people. If you are wanting to customize the look, try Poser 5. The updated models for version 5 look much better than the Digimation models but you will need to get the BodyStudio plugin. Once you do, you won't have to setup bones or deal with rigging.

John,

Thanks for your reply. I havent seen Ken or Richard this morning but

will pass on your "hi". Small world we live in. Aquatic illustrations in Beaver Dam, pretty good place to be.

I having been using Poser 5 and Digimation characters to import figures into Max. As they are an important secondary element to the scene I am looking for a quick and straight forward method to pose and animate them.

Just purchased Gesturemax for this process. Gesturemax seems to work pretty good with Poser 4 models, but has a harder time with Poser 5 models. I'll have to look into Bodystudio, and compare the two processes. Digimation characters dont seem to scale correctly when import into Max. I'll also check out Archvision models.

People and water, interesting combination when it comes to animations.

I have been doing still images, and I am exploring animated the aquatic scenes.

Thanks again

Eric