Diversity in people for renderings

Scott Schroeder

"That's not our head coach."

Some where along the way clients lost track of what's important. Once I worked on a big project at Gensler for Wells Fargo bank, their head quarters building. We worked like dogs, a few all nighters towards the end. The designers came back from the presentation and said "we could have showed them a shoe box, they loved it." Six months after they moved in to the space they left for another building...I learned what's important from that.

• 3 weeks later...
Ultimately it comes down to client control and setting expectations.

Exactly

And Depth of field. Lots of depth of field. If you can get the people to go a bit blobby like Techmo SuperBowl style, then you have less and less to worry about.

That what everybody else should do and some do.

It's when you have to keep everything in absolute focus that you allow things to start to get picked apart

Bingo!!! and that's exactly why our business get so much picked on all the time. Some new clients always compare to Movie artist and what they are capable of, but the main difference and in no way looking with less respect to the VFX artist, that always do insanely work.

But our main "problem" is we prepare mostly still images. so the people can seat and look at that image over and over and over, to just pick on stuff, nobody take a look at that image for 1/30 of sec and say, OK I like it.

Besides I am strongly believer that when the designer of the client fix their eyes in the people or that weird red hair guy that you decide to put in the last moment. all that distraction is because they don't like the design, or there is something not right with the project.

Now here a video to inspire us all.

Form a major Blockbuster movie, take a look, using the same tools we use, AYXZ People, Forrest pro, VRay. of course Nuke and all those 500 pound gorillas. But never the less all the focus goes to the main character or the overall environment shot. not the million of people that are there.

On those shots nobody is complaining if the guy in first row is Republican or Democrat :p Or that the white house is not really 100% Pantone color.

https://secure.axyz-design.com/user-gallery

''''''Incidentally, I find it ironic that architects consistently demand such specific entourage in their renderings while nearly all of the coffee table books they publish are completely devoid of people. Why don't architectural photographers have to deal with this?''''''

Why is it ironic? Their coffee table books are for architects and architects do not want and do not need to see people..where as renderings are for the clients or your clients..developers, normal citizens, city employees that are in in jury, people that want to buy a house...they want and have to see people to understand a 3D image..to understand the scale of the image.

'''Many of our upcoming rec centers are located in towns that have real life racial tension, so I understand where the client's request are coming from.''' well...in the end it is the demand or the circumstances of a society...Dont blame your clients. You all should discuss issues more with with clients...otherwise it is guesswork....and all this complaining and guessing leads to nowhere.

• 2 weeks later...

The renderings are not being sold to architects. The banks, donors, developers, etc. want to feel an emotion from an image. You can have a picture of a white room and then take the same picture with a cocktail party with 50 people in there and its not the same story. We are story tellers at the end of the day. Those coffee table books are about the architecture purely.

You've done a fantastic job filling up those shots with people. Not easy. Ironically though they look so generic - they could be any stadiums anywhere. I would try to convince whoever to do shots with no people at all so the focus is on the architecture/seating - and candidly discuss the culturally sensitive reasons you've listed. But I guess you have already tried all that.