Gtx 1070 and 750ti same performance in Max 2014

Hello dear people from the forum. Today I finally received my new GTX 1070 and swaped it with the famous 750ti I had been using for more then a year now. Since I work with heavy masterplan/birdseye scenes, with 50 plus and sometimes even more then 200 milion poligons, the upgrade was something I was really looking forward to in the past few months.

As soon as I pluged it I started some of my biggest scenes on both workstations. Mine which now has the 1070 and the other one which now has the 750ti. I opened the same scene using Max 2014 and Vray, and to my regret I can officially say I am disappointed. The fluidity of work on both computers is pretty much exactly the same. Even when I try to further traumatize the scene by setting proxies to visible, the scene slows down on both computers again exactly the same way. Material browser loads also the same speed. Note that I am using a i7-4960x clocked at 4.4ghz and the other machine is an i5-4690k clocked at 4.5ghz. So the difference in clock speed is only 100Mhz which should be negligible since Max viewport performance is not a multicore process.

At the end I even tried the famous graphics benchmark even though it has nothing to do with real world performance what so ever. At least in my case:

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/73746-graphics-card-benchmark.html

What is funny about this one is that the 750ti was actually better in all viewport preview configurations by 10-20% then the gtx 1070 lol?

As a conclusion I wanted to ask the members here who have experiance with the 1070 or have this very card in their computers if this issue is related more to the 3ds Max verions I own now? Should upgrading to a newer version like 2016 or even 2017 solve the issue with the 1070 and is this driver related? Also to note that I use Windows 7.

Best,

Vuk

Hi Vuk! We're creating scenes with about 20-30 million polys (or sometimes a lot more) and the GTX 970 was just enough for the job. A few weeks back we bought a GTX 1070 and it is waay better the the 970 and we're using Max 2016. BUT! there was an issue, because in the computer we first put it in, didnt really wanted to work properly, reinstalled windows (win 10), and it worked fine.

Those are my two suggestions, reistalling widows if thats possible (win 7 is good, but i'd say install win 10), or try installing the trial version of Max 2016 (or Max 2017, although i would wait with that for a while until they fix a few things-after service pack 1 or 2).

Which windows are you using? If it is Windows 10 the 3ds 2014 wont work as good as on previous versions. I head an issue where max 2014 was using all of my 30GB of ram on Windows 10. When I switched on Windows 7 it was working fine and I didn need more then 10gb of ram.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Operating-system-compatibility-for-Autodesk-3ds-Max-and-Autodesk-3ds-Max-Design.html

Edited by ediskujovic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Vuk,

I believe you are right.750ti would get the maximum of 3ds max..Kristzian Gulyas myabe needs to clarify if it was a real test that they did..

my experience shows that 2gb gtx Radeon moves the same on 2014 and 2016 compared to Titan x ( comparing here my two stations .I have the latest drivers on both installed windows 7 and believe that is the maximum of each version..as you know viewport performence is also cpu one node process as I far as i have read ..which is terrible thing

No, it wasnt a test, we just saw FPS drops with the GTX 970 and and swapped it for a 1070.

We tried it in an other machine, the 1070 was slower for unknown reasons until we reinstalled win 10.

But as Nikolay said, teh viewport performance depends on the CPU as well. We have Xeon CPUs 2.5GHz, and I remember that it ran faster while I was using an i7 4.0GHz

Before buying the card I have actually red this arctile:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AutoDesk-3ds-Max-2017-GeForce-GPU-Performance-816/

In the article they specifically state that if you do work with very large scenes, upgrading to a GTX 1070 can give a great boost to performance. And that is over cards like 970 ( beeing tested), 960 and guessing the 750ti as well. The problem is that this benchmark is for 3ds Max 2017 not 2014. Also Autodesk has stated on the release of Max 2017 that the viewport performance gain over 2014 is well over 300-500%. How? I don't know... But what I would like to know is if it has to do with Max version, card drivers, Win version ( DX12)?

I still can't notice any difference from day to day work in the past month using both cards on pretty much same computers...

Hi Vuk,

Yes I have seen that article too.. "If you do work with very large scenes, upgrading to a GTX 1070 can give a great boost to performance" following a test that shows 25 % more frames per second " is quite a tricky claim and logic..

..and I did the same test with my cards..the differences comes from 3ds max version only and yes from 2014 to 2017 max there is gain in performence but is not as significant as claimed and frames per second is not the only thing that we should be looking at ..I test for example the time of selecting and deselecting a large object and there is not much of improvement...and etc. other scenarios that no one talks about..

so yes there is improvement with 3ds max versions but 3ds max does terrible job ( almost none ) at using the more performance a high end gpu would offer with regards to viewports

I used to have a quadro 3800 card. And he really did. (With direct x10). Then Nitro came out. A big leap! But, the post is a complete disappointment. One of the most used software in the world is quite expensive, but Viewport does not work well. I do not know if there is a program that can work better, more stable and comfortable. There is a new program every year (turbo capitalism) but the main problems are the same. what shall we do:)

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I just assembled 2x 2683v3 on Z10PE D16 WS / 64GB DDR4 2133 and put there GTX 1070 as well.

I cannot have more than 60 millions of polys in 3DS MAX without crash (say 100 objects x 600K each, no instances). I have SSD for the OS and another SSD for MAX scratch

Everything works great, I mean the 56-threaded rendering, but for modelling the viewport sucks (max 2017, W10).

The 1070 drivers are the latest

Cheerz!

• 1 month later...
... But what I would like to know is if it has to do with Max version, card drivers, Win version ( DX12)?

I still can't notice any difference from day to day work in the past month using both cards on pretty much same computers...

Vuk, could you post your 3ds max video driver settings?

You are on nitrous, I guess?