3970X or 3930k

Hello,

I have read a lot of articles comparing 3970x to 3930k, and still do not know what to choose. How much more efficient is 3970 compared to 3930k, for almost two times higher price.

From what I know 3970X has better OC, but it is also less energy efficient and needs a powerful cooling system.

These processors are almost identical (I had the 3930K in my previous pc). 3970X is just a better binned chip that has slightly higher stock clocks, compared to the 3930K (3.5/4.0GHz vs 3.2/3.8GHz). Clock for clock (lets say you overclock both at 4.2GHz) they perform the same. The 3960X/3970X's higher price isn't justified by its performance at all. It was just the old well-known Intel's trick for consumers that are always after the "best" which usually in their minds, is the most expensive. But that's not always the case in cpus.

But, why would you even bother buying these processors right now? You could be interested, of course, only for used parts and only if the price is low enough to justify a purchase, I'd say around 200-230$ for the 3930K and a bit higher price (~250) for the 3970X only because it theoretically has a better oc potential. In practice, both chips are the same. And only if you can find a good X79 motherboard for a low price too.

If you are looking for new parts (of the latest architecture/technology), then you should be comparing other cpus, ex 6800K vs 6900K, or 6700K vs 6800K and so on.

Could you explain a bit more what exactly are you planning to do with this hardware and how much are you willing to pay for it?

Edited by nikolaosm

I stuck with the i7 3820 with Asus P9X79 PRO 2011 I want to make a quick move with the change of the processor as a reasonable price. So my choice is very limited to what I can put the 2011 socket.

3930K, 3970X or one of IvyB 4930K-4960X.

4960X is still quite expensive, and I do not have enough money right now to change all guts.

That is why 3970X comes to my mind as a kind of fast upgrade, or wait for 4960X goes down with price.

3960X is avalible for exactly 250$

I could spend right now about 400$, cant find 4960x in this range.

Edited by bertjow1

I think you should be able to get a 3930K for ~$150-$170, you could even buy a pretested one if you want to overclock it. 4930K should be ~$250-300.

The only thing i would be concerned about is power degrading. If you don't know if you can trust the seller it is possible that a used Sandy or Ivy Bridge chip has been beaten to its limit with high volts and is now degraded.

And concerning the "X" models vs the "K" models... i don't see any advantage in using a "X" model. I think you can reach the same results with the K's. It is possible that the 4960X are a bit more selected and since i had not much luck with my 4930K's and i think that there are generally less good good Ivy Bridge chips this would be the only point it could be better to take a used 4960X. But i don't know. And i think a pretested 4930K would still be the better option then.

Ok guys thanks for ur advice. Finally I have bought 3960X for 214$.

This a good price for this processor. If the previous owner(-s) hasn't done anything extreme with it with high overclocking/voltages etc, then everything should be fine. And Numerobis is right and I forgot to mention. Sandy were better overclockers than Ivy Bridge in general. If you are into overclocking, then with a good AIO cooler a 4.3-4.4GHz should be quite easy to achieve. I had my 3930K at 4.6GHz during winter time with no issues and safe Vcore values.