AMD 480 vs Nvidia 1060 w/3440x1440 monitor

I'm looking at picking up a LG 34UM88C-P 3440x1440 monitor for home where I do some light 3ds Max work (playing around & testing mostly). I'll need a new video card to support the resolution. I'm looking at either an AMD 480 w/8gb of ram or a Nvidia 1060 w/6gb of ram.

Generally, I'm fairly loyal to Nvidia and the 1060 seems to have some great reviews. However, the monitor supports AMD's FreeSync which has me thinking about the 480. I'm not much of a gamer and I sort of doubt either card will be fast enough to take advantage refresh rate control at 3440x1440. However, I thought I would see if anyone has experience or thoughts on refresh rate control or either card architecture in general particularly as it applies to 3ds Max use.

Thanks for the help.

Matt

No I don't. I went ahead and purchased the 1060. I decided that adaptive sync (of either variety) is not of much importance to me because I don't game. Additionally, it looks like the 1060 is much better than the 480 with DX11 where the 480 is a little better than the 1060 on DX12. The nitrous viewport in Max 2017 on Win10 is DX11 based so that seemed like the best choice for me.

I also wonder in Nvidia won't have to eventually come around and support Freesync as the $200 premium on GSynch monitors can't be doing them any favors. If that turns out to be the case, it will be win/win for me.

Well if Nvidia would want to support freesync, wouldn't they be doing that already? But that put aside, since you don't game, you think the lack of freesync or gsync will be an issue for you?

How is the 1060 working out for you, like with your software? Are you glad you didn't go for the curved version?

I doubt they will but maybe...

I haven't received either the monitor or the video card yet so no verdict there. I intend to mount the monitor to the wall in order to free up some desk space. I looked at the curved ones but they're more expensive and I think a curved screen mounted to the wall will look a bit odd.