Computer Hardware Advice

Helllo All,

Several years ago I decided to take my skill level to new level and begin the

long grueling process (for me) of learning Visualizations. Now that I am finally

to the point of doing things professionally, I need a system with some power

behind it.

I built my current system to run AutoCAD and Revit (and does thay very well). It is

an older machine that was built several years ago when I was doing home design. I

have discovered it isnt worth much for running MAX/V-Ray. It is an i-7 3.2, on an

Asus Sabertooth X58 MB with 24 gb RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 6950. This

machine, I believe, has reached retirement age. My plan is to hit up my inlaws for

a loan to build the new system. I have done some research and I think I saw somewhere

that GPU rendering is better than CPU rendering. I have to liquid cool my current

system to keep it from burning up. My understanding is that I need a Nvidia card

with CUDA? I think I want a video card that V-Ray supports. I would also

like advice as to how much RAM is advised. I mostly do Architectural Visualizations.

Bringing in Revit models and doing the vis on them. I also do some Poly modeling so

I might be doing that as well. I want to build something that will do still frame renders

and animations without having to wait until the next decade before they finish. Just seeking

any knowledge that people are willing to share with me.

I know someone is going to ask what my budget is, and I honestly dont know. Considering

I have to pitch this to people who barely know how to turn on a computer, I am trying to

keep it reasonable. I am hoping I can build a good system that will run MAX and V-Ray

for less than $3,000. I have a keyboard/mouse. Probably will also want 2-3 24"ish monitors.

I currently use a 40" sony HD tv for my main display and an Asus 24" monitor for the second.

Would be nice to get some "matching" displays. I cant imagine running MAX on only one

display.

Any advice would be greatly appretiated. Thank you in advance.

PCPartPicker part list

Don't use the 40" TV as your monitor, imo. It's not good for your eyes.

Gpu rendering is faster only in certain scenarios. For more complex models and materials, cpu rendering is still ahead. Gpu rendering is way faster for small and simpler scenes without many light bounces, refractive materials etc.

Edit: The system above would be very good in cpu rendering, but I added a 850W psu in case you decide to invest time in gpu rendering. You could safely add a second gpu with the power supply.

Edited by nikolaosm

Is it common to have to liquid cool for CPU rendering? My current CPU will hit upper 90's within seconds of hitting the render button in Max. Is this common? Or is it just something with this system? The biggest reason I was thinking of GPU rendering was to get away from liquid cooling. But if liquid cooling is just something that has to be done then so be it.

Not really afraid of it. I have never had an AIO type before. What I currently have is a thermaltake case and cooler. It has the reservoir, radiator and fan. It is large with these cooling lines that I am always worried will blow someday and fry my system. But those AIO look very compact, and if they will keep me cool then sounds good then. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond with your wisdom...thank you!

I noticed in your parts list that you have the GeForce GTX 1070 video card. What do you know about the GeForce GTX 1080? I know it is significantly more ($700.00 at Best Buy). Would the extra money be worth it for that card? Is it a bunch better, or not really worth the extra money? Was just wondering was all.

Ok, thanks. I suspected that but wanted to ask you. Convincing the inlaws is going to be difficult. They seem to think that Visualizations and 3D modeling are more of a hobby than a paying job. They basically think that nobody cares about renderings/animations etc. and noone will pay real money for it. So we will see, might have to come up with a different game plan. One way or the other though I will get this system built. Thanks for you help.

Ok, thanks. I suspected that but wanted to ask you. Convincing the inlaws is going to be difficult. They seem to think that Visualizations and 3D modeling are more of a hobby than a paying job. They basically think that nobody cares about renderings/animations etc. and noone will pay real money for it. So we will see, might have to come up with a different game plan. One way or the other though I will get this system built. Thanks for you help.

You should listen to your inlaws. after all, they will be around a lot longer than any computer you put together and do you really want to hear, "i told you so" for the rest of their lives?

anyway, The only thing the new system will save you is time. So, if you are currently having to turn down work because you can't render it fast enough, then it makes sense. Otherwise, it's a poor investment of other people's money. Regardless, have a payback schedule drawn up and be prepared to throw in the towel if you fall behind on the payments to them. It's the responsible thing to do.

as a casual observation, Revit bashers are in high demand and are being paid more than render guys so why not take a good paying revit job and save up for a render system yourself?