New Laptop- Advice needed :)

Hi guys, im an architecture student, and i'm going to change my work-notebook (Toshiba qosmio x770 3D) for a powerfull one. A few days ago i found a good price Asus Rog- 5752vy i7-6700HQ(2.6Ghz.6gb cache) . 17,3" HD 1920x1080,with 16GB up to 32 ram DDR4, Hard disk drive 512GB ssd (3 hd slot).Nvidia GTX980M(4gb).

Till now , as said, i worked with a Qosmio x770 3D ,i7-2670QM gpu 2.20Ghz,8GB ram, gtx 560M .. do you guys think that the working permormance will have a sensible improvement?

(price is really really good, my notebook is having sporadic system problems and im actually working for my thesis) that's why im thinking that this might be a good time for a nootebook-change.

Thanks and have a nice holiday :)

The performance would definitely be better, but does it have to be a laptop? Anyway, the specs look fine and if the price is right it won't be a bad choice. What software are you using?

yea, because i'm used to study/work in university so i think a workstation would not be a great choise for me.

I'm actually using: autocad,illustrator,photoshop,rhinoceros and Cinema4D(not much at the moment, but when needed.. ) :)

The performance would definitely be better, but does it have to be a laptop? Anyway, the specs look fine and if the price is right it won't be a bad choice. What software are you using?

yup, i'm used to work on my university biblio, so a workstation would not be a right choise for me. Autocad,Ai,Ps,rhinoceros and Cinema4d+Vray :)

• 2 weeks later...

sudden crashes at the start of OS and general freeze/sudden slowdowns while working with Ai-Cad . The actual price of the new one is going to be arount a bit less of 1000Euro.

Anyway there would even be the "new" possibility to chose between the Asus-Rog or the new Macbook pro:

15.4" retina 2880x1800. 512gb SSD . 16gb LPDDR3 (2133Mhz). Radeon Pro 455 with 2GB of memory GDDR5. Intel HD graphics 53.Intel core i7 quad core 2.7ghz up to 3.6 , shittynewuppertouchbar etcetc...

beyoud the price-gap .. which do you think would be the best choise?

(actually the only thing that stops me on buying the asus is the lack of portability caused by its weight , around 5kg ..)

Edited by simonesilvestri

O boy Simone,

you honestly are thinking about buying the 2016 macbook pro?

Haven't you seen the reviews? But if you really want it, nobody can stop you. I would prefer the 2015 version instead the 2016 version though.

On the other side, carrying around a very heavy laptop is a pita. But you are in 2017 now. You can get very nice laptops now and they are definately not 5 kg.

Honestly, I don't think you need a high end laptop, looking at the software you use. A high end high performance laptop is only needed if you decide to render a lot on your laptop.

I like these reviews, maybe you find it interesting too:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MobileTechReview/videos

But before buying a brand new laptop, have you done troubleshooting with your current laptop? If not, you could do a google search on "sudden crashes at the start of OS" and see if you can isolate the problem.

• 3 weeks later...