I've just been playing around with Glass Blocks today and have come to the same conclusion as James. You really are best modelling these unless you've got many hundreds in your scene that are a long way from the camera. (even then I'd probably still use modelled blocks and just xref 'em)

I have done one extra thing though, in order to give me a little bit more control over the distribution of light and reflections through the blocks, I've added a narrow box within the glass block with a glass type material but with extra noise maps to fix the uniformity of reflections and distortion I was getting from using single instanced glass blocks. So My wall has 128 glass blocks with one large box that is hidden within those blocks that covers the full expanse of those 128 glass blocks.

Hope this helps.

model the glass block with a glass material on it, because of the interior shape it will look correct, otherwise it will be alot of playing around with textures to get something that looks correct

r0846s.jpg

Would love to see a "Making of" for individual glass block! Did you use a Profile, poly-modelled?

well, these days I dont really model that much as Im a finisher, if I can do something quickly without thinking about it (usually deconstructing something) then ill do it myself, If it will take me more than 30 mins Ill buy it if its worth less than my rate.

I think it was this one I purchased I cannot remember.

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-luxfer-model/937641

FYI

In this case It would cost me more than $9 to open 3ds max and wait for the UI to load - so easier for me to just buy it. Same goes with anything, before I open 3d studio max, ill check all the project info, gauge how long it will take to model the specific items, see if I can buy it cheaper, invoice the client and if they are happy with it, ill purchase everything, lay it out, render it and finish it - this allows me to deliver atleast 2 images per day to bill $$$