Autodesk Stingray and the future

Jon Berntsen

Yeah, seems like nothing much. However, since realtime engines are limited in its output resolution, they can't compete with raytracers like vray anyway. Our customers needs images in the size of 6000px +. But the realtime engines will be there in a couple of year, I guess. The problem is also that geometry needs to be optimized anyway, so using the same scene won't be possible no matter what. So, really, when realtime engines are "up to date" on the resolution needs, there's no going back.

You are able to take high resolution screenshots in unreal: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Basics/Screenshots/

In theory you can take high res screenshot with the high res shot command but in practice, you can't. The way unreal saves a high res shot is by tiles, one at a time, and cannot capture the temporal AA while doing so (temporal because it requires a few frames to have it's full effect show at the screen). You'll never make a good looking high res shot, it's always going to be full of AA artifacts. I think it affects most of the screenspace effects, which unreal relies on a lot, like screen space reflections.

The only way we've figured out on the forums is to use nvidia DSR (dynamic super resolution). It can increase your desktop resolution (and game) by 4x your native desktop res. So, with my 2560x1440 monitor, I can't go higher than 5120x2880. Taking huge screenshots like that can be tough on your memory gpu. When you use print screen, you don't get a real 5120x2880 image with all AA ON!!!

Otherwise you can also just take a print screen to get full AA effects on, but increase your r.screenpercentage in your post process volume. You still only get a screenshot the size of your monitor but with 100% more pixels if you want. (r.screenpercentage 200).

It's far from a great solution for high end stills. I've asked Epic many times about that and if we could get a solution. But they haven't addressed it.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...