changing materials in animation

amarkovi

i have a model of a building and have made an animation of the camera flying around...now, is it possible to change an objects material during the animation so that a solid surface fades in a wireframe?

i know i could render two different sequences with different materials and then edit the animation later....but is there a way to do this without rendering everything twice?

it depends on your render engine if u are using vray incremental add, forget it, with radiosity, i dont believe it works, if u are rendering without gi, only scanline render maybe works,

imo the best way to do it is rendering 2 different sequences and edit them in a video editing software.

u can do it with gradient ramp with dif materials, one normal, another wireframe and play with the %. is hard, i did some nice effects with this material ( just test ) , but was hard to archive good result.

this was one of the test, i dont try wireframe + nowireframe, but i thibk is possible. i did with only 1 material. no postedited

save target as

http://www.prodigyweb.net.mx/delfoz/cga/difuse5.avi

I could not find a material I could control the "mixture", I've tried mix, blend, multi/sub-object, composite, top/bottom and even shellac, and all of them changed both when I turned one into wireframe, so I've created two identical objects, one with a solid material and the other one in wireframe and in the solid one set the opacity map to gradient ramp and then animate it to make it change.

http://home.comcast.net/~aranguren/x.avi

Clone the objects, apply a wire frame material (or display as wireframe?) to the clones. Then key frame the visibility of the solid to transition to the wire frame.

Should work, although it may still be easier to render wire frame & a fading solid, then video comp the transition, if the comp apps are avialable. Much more control.

WDA