Vray Adv vs Vray RT

pawelstasik

Hi everyone:)

I have a question about Vray Adv and Vray RT - simply: is it possible to achieve the same great realistic quality on Vray RT as on Vray Adv? I have to decide whether to go with GPU rendering or CPU. I do exteriors (and planning to do interiors and product visualization in the future) but I'm still a newbie (and my project don't look bad but I want to learn and learn and learn to achieve photo-realism one day) and for my last 2 projects I used RT with CUDA (GTX 1070) which (according to my tests) renders 3x faster than my i5-6600 but there were some problems (crashes during renders) and for last few renders I switched to RT CPU and then everything was OK (but very sloow). I want to reduce render times and buy new CPU or GPU and I was thinking about AMD Ryzen 7 1800X (for Ryzen I would also have to change my motherboard:/) and GTX 1080 Ti. But: GTX 1070 is 3x faster than my i5 - 6600 and also this AMD is 3x faster than i5-6600 so GTX 1070 = AMD Ryzen 7 1800X. And now the king - GTX 1080Ti which is probably 2x faster than 1070 (it has almost 2x more CUDA cores). So what do you guys suggest?

1. Buying GTX 1080Ti and using Vray RT (if there is no difference in quality between RT and Adv)

2. Buying AMD Ryzen 7 1800X and using Vray Adv

Thanks in advance!:)

And sorry for my english!

Quality is not about your render engine only, there are many factors that can make a great image, composition, color, materials, shaders, lighting,post work.

GPU rendering would be faster in some conditions, for instance product rendering, but for exteriors depending of your scene CPU will be way better, you are always limited to the amount of VRam in your video card for many GPU engine.

If you have the latest release of VRay there is a new 'real time' rendering that can match the same quality than the traditional render. If you want to use that.

Nowadays most of VRay shaders are compatible with both engines so just concentrate to learn more about composition, lighting and such. That's the best way to get nice image.

Regarding rendering time your i5 is not recommended for heavy production, if you want better rendering time, you need to invest on i7 6 cores or very fast hyper threaded 4 Cores CPU or the new Ryze 8 Cores cpu as you mentioned.

If you think you can fit your scenes in your 8 Gb 1070 you are OK, the new GTX 1080TI has 11Gb of VRAM. that's not enough for a medium size exterior arch viz scene IMO.

Thanks for your replies:) Ok so I decided to buy new CPU and do you think that Ryzen 1700 (with OC) will be a good choice? It's looks that after OC it's as fast Ryzen 1800X.

And one more question. At the beginning I was using RT just for preview and for the final render I wanted to switch to Adv but the image was muuuch brighter or much darker on Adv than on RT (I don't remember but I think it was brighter) and that's why now I use only RT. But can you tell me why there was so big difference? I didn't change camera exposure settings etc. I didn't change anything, just pressed render on RT and image was fine, then switched to Adv and image was soo bright and after that I switch to RT again and image was fine again. But I'm sure it wasn't color mapping mode that made the difference.

Edited by pawelstasik