10 Watt or 50 Watt

Matt Sugden

What can people tell me about using real world lighting systems, such as a 50W bulb, or a 20W halogen downlight, in 3Ds max 5.0.

I'd like to be able to show clients what the lighting of their rooms are using actual real world lighting references rather than artistic lisience lighting!

Obviously when I'm setting the spot falloffs and beam range this is nothing like having a fixed light, like you get from B&Q.

Any comments would be muchly appreciated.

try using photometrics lights in your scene, visit erco.com or other lighting companies that offer ies archives of their products, you have much more control of lighting and many examples of the different types of light.

search this forum for tutorias using ies lights, this will change the overall look of your projects.

good luck

Hi, well I've been doing a lot of reading up and fiddling with max.

I've mananaged to get the fall off's working using the manufacturers ies settings, but placed in a 2m x 2m room/box I can't understand why a 75watt lamp is producing such a dim light source, infact almost none....

What is the vital link I'm missing? I assume the renders can just be set off with advanced lighting switched on, is that right?

I've only actually managed to acheive any kind of light by upping the multiply option by about 1000%, but obviously this defeats the purpose of using real world light...

I had to replace a couple of bulbs last week and couldn't help noticing that on the side of the pack there was the relative lumen value next to the wattage - it was a compact fluorescent so they were trying to explain the advantages of this type over a standard bulb.

Its worth noting that wattage relates to the power used rather than the output. The old erco catalogues used to have a chart at the back listing bulb/lamp types and their output. You might find this on their website.