3D Studio 5 Maximum Render Resolution?

mwhite

I just tried to start a large rendering for a construction billboard in 3D Studio and the maximum horizontal size that I can set without getting an 'Error Creating Bitmap' message is 9,000 pixels. Is this the maximum limit for MAX Release 5 or can I change a setting or update something to get a higher size limit.

Thanks,

Mike White

Mrwhite

1. try using the bitmap pager, to control how many maps are loaded into RAM.

2. Set your windows virtiual memory to the highest it will go (4096)

3. If your computer supports it you may be able to use the 3GB switch, in the boot.ini file. Be WARNED this may prevent your computer from starting at all, check motherboard documention first.

4. Finally try net rendering the image, backburner requires significantly less resources than 3dsmax and its UI.

Discreets website has addational information on configuring the bitmap pager.

You can discoved about the 3GB switch from microsoft.

(Sorry to state the obvious)

Anthony

What ANTHONYY said is good info. Also, are you really sure you need to render at such a high-rez? I mean if this is a billboard, the resolution (DPI) that those are printed out at is no where near as high as a magazine or book.

9000 pixels at 100 DPI is 7.5 feet! (and even 100 DPI might be too high)

There is always scaling up in Photoshop too.

Anthony/Hazdaz

Thanks for the info. I will try the easy and quick memory fix as you suggested. But stay away from the 3 gig switch. :)

If I still can't get higher than 9,000 I will stay with that and sample up or stay with that resolution as it works out to 115 dpi which as you say should be enough. The sign maker was looking for 200-250 dpi thats why I was trying to get the resolution up there a bit higher.

I've been bugging them everyday for over a week now for the info on the sign - today I got an email saying they need the rendering tomorrow morning. Oh well, another nite with no sleep.

Thanks for the info and suggestions,

Mike White