Why should you tree models instead on adding them in post?

gianniritschard

I'm not new to CGI, but just recently started learning about archviz.

I was always thinking that it's best to add vegetation as cutouts in post since it seems more realistic to me and it oubviously saves a lot of render time. But now most archviz renderings I recently looked at seem to use 3d tree models.

I'm wondering whats the advantage from 3d models over 2d vegetation? Why would someone prefer this method?

Edited by gianniritschard

I used to do the entire environment in 2D, but as clients wanted more than just 1 or 2 renderings of the same exterior, 3D saved me a lot of time and made the images more consistent. However, variety and species are harder to come by in 3D. Also, not that I do any animations, but 3D is a must for those.

most trees these days are pretty good - it comes down to your material setup and lighting really. These are the ones I recommend, any others id be keen to check out too.

Maxtree.org

Evermotion.org

Vizpark.com

Rendering.ru

3dmk.com.au

CGaxis.com

Theres a big trend at the moment for using Exlevel Growfx - its a parametric tree making plugin for 3dsmax. Maxtree, 3dmk and others are using it, its very powerful as you can seed many versions of your current tree creating massive variation. The UI is a little oldschool but still its worth the money. You can also plug the seed value into Forestpro so that creates many variations for you randomly thus giving you very realistic results in large areas of vegetation (in fact I use forest anywhere, small gardens etc because of the scalability, natural feel & colour control). I prefer to buy Growfx seed models if I can but they are not cheap, or make them myself if I have time.