Low to mid end workstation build with possible VR Rendering

Where did you see that ?

So far all I've read are vague predictions about small gradual price decline over the whole year. Right now locally, 128 GB set of DDR4 (8x16) starts at 1700 in market around me.

2 years ago I bought used 128 GB DDR3 ECC for 200 euros : /

As Nikolaos said..all I've upgraded recently was nice 32" 4k monitor as well :- ). Everything else is sky-high.

Oh, I'm buying no where near 128GB set. I just purchased 32GB (2x16GB) set from Newegg for $300 which was around $450 mark the day before. In what programs would you benefit from having 128GB of memory? Just curious. My photoshop bottleneck time to time so I'm interested to hear if buying extra 32GB for my computer would benefit smoother experience in photoshop. I assume no benefit will be gained in 3dmax.

Edited by junglee

Oh, I'm buying no where near 128GB set. I just purchased 32GB (2x16GB) set from Newegg for $300 which was around $450 mark the day before. In what programs would you benefit from having 128GB of memory? Just curious. My photoshop bottleneck time to time so I'm interested to hear if buying extra 32GB for my computer would benefit smoother experience in photoshop. I assume no benefit will be gained in 3dmax.

I don't know if Photoshop will get much bump for an extra 32 Gb RAM, maybe if you are working with really large files such 1 or 2 Gb.

But more RAM for your workstation and render nodes will help you when you have lots of geometry or proxies. Forest pro and Railcloner are very efficient, so we get spoiled very quickly and it is easy just to spread millions and millions of plants in our scenes, in that case, more RAM will really help.

Also if you are doing heavy compositing in After Effects or similar in that case more RAM also will be beneficial.

It's mainly because of 3dsMax + Corona, it's very hungry combination, lot more than other renderers. And there are some factors within 3dsMax than can multiply this (by not properly flushing the cache after heavy subsequent renderings,etc..).

That coupled with lot of multi-tasking and always having multiple heavy scenes and Photoshop files open at same time, makes having lot of memory a faster workflow as it avoids any swapping.

I was actually quite surprised to run to wall with 64, I wouldn't have thought of that. Then again, I thought the same with 16 few years ago.

The memory price levels are nauseating. And it's grotesque some brands keep coming on top of this with some ridiculous "luxury" items like super-fast, RGB-lit modules, bringing exactly none benefits apart from being fool parted with his money on pointless gimmick. Who on earth considers that a valid investment ?

Thank you all for the kind inputs.

All parts are ordered, and this will be good enough for our intern.

I love the renderings from your website Juraj, They have very distinctive feeling to it. I think I need to up my games as well - thanks all you guys for being a good challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

One week living with Wx7100 has been nothing but disaster.

This is my second AMD card and they both have been miserable. During just one week, I had to do a hard reset on computer more than I did for last 10 years because computer froze all the time. This thing didn't even come with the installation CD so I used their AMD driver autodetect so wrong driver installation isn't a cause. I'm inclined to throw this crap out of the window and ask for the refund but I'll be a gentleman and just send this crap to the crap manufacturer. Damn you AMD. Now it's time to hunt down a GeForce again.

One week living with Wx7100 has been nothing but disaster.

This is my second AMD card and they both have been miserable. During just one week, I had to do a hard reset on computer more than I did for last 10 years because computer froze all the time. This thing didn't even come with the installation CD so I used their AMD driver autodetect so wrong driver installation isn't a cause. I'm inclined to throw this crap out of the window and ask for the refund but I'll be a gentleman and just send this crap to the crap manufacturer. Damn you AMD. Now it's time to hunt down a GeForce again.

Well, that's a bummer, I used to work at this place where they had AMD workstations, I never had any problem really, but it was a long time ago.

so did you check the driver's compatibility and power supply??