Anyone uses Polligon texture for vray?

tianyijiang

Hi, Guys,

I am new to this community! Nice to meet you all!

I have been using vray for Sketchup for a while. The biggest problem I have is that the rendering looks not realistic as it should be(what the renderings show on some website). I downloaded different material layers from Poliigon, it prepares each map for you: Ambient Occlusion map /Diffuse map / Displacement map/ Gloss map / Normal(bump) map. I applied the material to my drawing and rendered it, but... it still not look good. I also tried to use the materials that in the vray library, but it come out to be very plain, I mean it does not have details, texture and looks more like a piece of 2d drawing, looks really weak in 3d visual sense. It become better if for each material I added a bump map, but the light still seems not quite right.

I feel it to do with my settings for reflection, refraction parameter... I know some basic IOR value and I understand the basic ideas of glossiness, fresnel, but it just does not look good.

I know it is a broad topic, but is there any tutorials talked more depth into how to set the parameters? I know each material has different settings, and it sometimes confused when you were watching how it works in some videos and did it by yourself but it come out totally different..

Thanks all!

I don't use sketchup but have you watched the video below from their youtube? Depending on the material I usually leave everything as default only changing things like the map intensity. It also depends on your scaling and the object your mapping it on. Sometimes I add color corrections to the reflection and reflection gloss but that's just so I can tweek them to where they no longer look like the preview from the site.

I Started using polligon textures not too long ago and when I just applied the textures is slots as is the result wasn't good, but if you take some of the reflection and glossiness maps into photoshop and push the whites and blacks you can get some good results, also helps if you play with the strengths values some in your application. The maps are a really good high resolution base for materials, you just need to make adjustments that fit your scene.

Hi, Garland,

Thank you for your advice! On "pushing whites and blacks", do you mean to push the "curve" in PS or to adjust the "contrast"? which exact command did you use?

Also, what do you mean by "strength values", is the strength value set in Vray or PS?

Thank you!

You can use curves, levels brightness and contrast doesn't really matter. The ultimate goal is to get the difference of your black, white, and grey tones to give you the desired effect when rendering. "Strength value" Say you put a map in the reflection slot at 100% it may not look correct, too reflection maybe 40% will give you a better result.