Problem with VrayEdgeTex as bump map with interior edges

Terri Brown

Hi guys,

I come across this problem all the time as I really like to use the VrayEdgeTex in my bump slot to round off edges instead of manually chamferring them- especially for walls and frames etc. It's always plugged into a VrayCompTex (sometimes two of them if I'm also using a Noise map to break up the edges). Must of us know Mr Guthrie's tutorial on this:

http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/2009/03/vray-edge-fillet-tutorial

However a building is never made of simple geometry, and there are always internal edges, in which case the VrayEdgeTex shows up where I don't want it (I'd like it to only show on the external edges).

See the image attached for further clarity.

Thanks everyone...

First Floor_E02.jpg

Okay, it's a bit more complicated than what I've ecpected =D

I would try to remove the tex from there and plug it in VrayBumpMtl, in that way you will have better control over your bump maps imo.

I think something went wrong in the mixing there, maybe the tex is too deep now and swaping the setup could help?.. Anyway I see it as a bug and worth sending a report to chaosgroup to solve it :-))

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I'm still on max 2014, so no chamfer modifier. Plus that means manually selecting and chamferring each object, which is what I am trying to avoid by applying a universal material which does all the hard work for me.

Legend91, I don't think it's a bug...in fact the map is doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing. But in THIS functionality as a bump map there should be a workaround to make it do the trick. Peter mentions this on his blog when someone else raised the same issue: "I haven't tested it, but maybe it can be controlled through edge visibility or smoothing or something?"

Was just wondering if anyone had gotten that right yet?

I use the edgestex all the time, allthough in a vraybump material. Most of my projects come from Archicad, and allthough the imports from there tend to be pretty shitty when it comes to the geometry, ive yet to encounter the problem you seem to have here.

If those internal edges are not welded, the result is correct. If they are welded, there seems to be a problem.

Internal edges are usually not a problem (unless youve accidentally checked the hidden edges box in your edgestex) as the map should only take into account where there is an angle between two faces. If two corresponding/equal/parallell faces are next to eachother and welded there is no bump created.

If you rely on UVWmaps provided by another program (allready UVW`ed surfaces on imported meshes) you may have some trouble cleaning up the geometry, but if not - and you apply a box mapping UVW map or something similar- it should be fairly easy to clean up your meshes. Remember that you only have to clean what is visible in the render, not the entire thing.

I do not think the edges tex takes into account smoothing groups, but just in case it does, try to apply a smooth modifier to your geometry and see if it helps?

• 4 years later...