Do ArchViz people buy 3d assets?

markmccormack

Hey all,

I'm not 100% sure this is the right website for this kind of question, but I tried looking around and couldn't find any really good information and figured you guys would know your stuff!

So I have a question about 3d assets and ArchViz. My background is in Industrial Design and I have just moved into the Video Games sector. I went back to school to do a degree in Game Design 4 years ago and have just finished that a month ago!

Myself and a partner currently going through the process of setting up a small indie games studio and we were looking at other forms of income since the development cycle to create a game is quite long, the first 6-12 months would see no real income from that side of things.

We looked into selling 3D game assets on sites such as turbosquid and cgtrader but this brought me to investigating whether ArchViz people also purchase 3D assets. Things like household items at the like to fill up the space in your archviz projects. Things that are probably more time/cost effective to just buy rather than model yourselves.

My question is, is this line of thinking correct? Is there a market for that kind of thing? We would only need to make a minimal income just to get by the initial development phase of our game project.

Also, if this is a viable route for an alternate source of income, what types of small models do you find yourself needing the most? And is there better websites than turbosquid or cgtrader that ArchViz people would tend to use more? I know games people gravitate towards turbosquid...

Thanks in advance for any advice! And don't be shy to tell me if this is a terrible idea haha

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah there is a big market for this, but it's also very competitive. You'll be competing with people whose only job is modeling assets for such websites.

3dSky.org is a very popular one, but all their models are capped at $6 each so you'd need to have hundreds of models to make enough money to support yourselves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Mark,

Yes, there is a market for ArchViz models but you wont make much selling, as you'll do with the game assets.

I have some 3d models on 3dsky.org. The selling price is 6$ and I get between 0.75$ and 2.5$ depends on the buyer subscription. So I wont recommend that. You can try cgmood.com, they are new and very professionals.

Wish you good luck and happy modelling!