Feedback please

1531529604.jpg

Studio/Institution: For fun
Genre: Residential Exterior
Software: Vray 4.0 for 3DS Max 2018
Description:

Hi everyone,

I have attempted to recreate an old project (done entirely in photoshop) using 3ds max and vray. The photoshop image took 1 hour, so far the vray render has taken me a week and in my opinion is not that much better than the photoshop only image. I was wondering if you could critique my image, in an effort to help me improve photorealism.

3DS Max + Vray + Photoshop left, Photoshop only right:

Photoshop only.jpg

Vray settings: I am using the high quality settings as recommended here: http://vizguy.com/resources/render-settings/

Lighting: Just one, vray sun.

Vray camera: I et exposure to 120, and changed the color temp to 4500, everything else is default

Thanks in advance

3DS Max 2018 + Vray 4.0 + Photoshop.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Great start!

It's all subjective, but here are thoughts on what I would do to improve

1) Door hardware

2) Walkway to entry

3) Landscaping around the building

4) The building shadow is too solid black and does not hit the grass blades correctly. There should be some blades with sunlight hitting them showing up in front of the shadow.

5) Maybe add a person for scale and some emotional response

6) Can you get the environment to reflect in the windows?

7) Space inside looks dead and bluish

Well, your 3D image is looking very similar to your Photoshop image because you are using the same method for both.

If you want the 3D image to look better, ideally you should model the environment, so the lighting match all the areas and objects.

You could use the background image also to lit your CG scene so the light has the same color.

The building is not reflecting the environment and also the shadows on the building seem sharper than anything in your background.

Now it looks like you render the building in an empty environment and placed the image as background. Besides if some is living in that place the grass should be stepped over already so you'll see a path or empty/dirt areas around the house, pathways and what not, as it is now the environment doesn't match the CG house at all.

Regarding the render settings, I am not a fan to just copy setting. This will vary from scene to scene and for what I saw you change so many settings without not knowing what they do, that is a really bad way to learn your software.

Take a look and the Help doc from Chaos group, there are plenty well explained short tutorials for each setting.

I am pretty sure if you use default settings in this scene you'll get similar or even better results of what you are getting now.