Displacement using too much ram

gpsx

Hi,

Im on max and when doing close up shots, vray gets error because of the displacement ram usage. Disabling displacement in global switches makes it render just fine. I have 32 GB ram... On things such as brick walls, I have to put displacement, there is no other way. Is there a way to optimize the displacement?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

By default, displacement will use lots of memory, if you can't go without using it, try to subdivide the geometry first, avoid using large plane areas for displacement, the more subdivisions the better. You could try Max displacement modifier too and then freeze that effect to save memory.

If you are using Irradiance and Light cache, try to limit the amount of Light cache or don't use it at all. Try Irradiance and Brute force or just Brute force the whole thing.

The Dynamic memory also could help but if it is not set up correctly it will dump that info in your hard drive and that will slow your render time to a crawl.

I just leave it to default or setup to zero, If VRay runs out of memory it will freeze your machine, but at least you know is a memory problem and nothing else.

If you are doing close-ups of the brick wall maybe it is better to model those bricks and use Raicloner or similar to build that wall. Then a mix of bump map and Normal maps will give you small details. Modeling and scattering are better for memory management than Displacement.