3DS to Sketchup

Chris MacDonald

Hey guys,

Having spent the best part of 10 years taking stuff the other way, I now need to take things from 3DS max into sketchup whilst retaining their UV coordinates. I am absolutely convinced such a thing is possible; I've seen plenty of models that have originated in max (evermotion etc) that have ended up in .skp format with all their mapping intact.

Does anyone have any tips on this? What intermediate format should I be using? .3ds/.obj/.dae...?

Okay, so I have finally found a solution for anybody else wishing to go FROM 3ds max TO sketchup WITH UV coordinates.

First off in max you need to have the Guruware OBJ exporter installed: http://www.guruware.at/main/objio/index.html

To export as obj from max you need to (in the obj export options) click the Map-Export button and check the "use map-path" option. This should then write any textures to a folder next to your exported obj file.

Secondly to import .obj into Sketchup you need to install the QuadFace Tools plugin which will give you the option to import .obj.

Now just select your .obj file, set the units to whatever your *system* units were set to in max (not your display units) and click import. Hey presto you should now have UV mapped import from 3ds max.