Underwater Scene

karlokarlov

Hi everyone

I'm kind of a newbie in rendering. So far I've done a bunch of scenes, mostly exterior and a few interior scenes. I'm doing good in modeling and texturing, but now I have a task which I can't cope with.

I'm working on an underwater pedestrian tunnel. So far I've done the main construction (concrete and acrylic polymer), side buildings and I want to see how will it look like when it's underwater. I made a surface which will imitate the sea, and I know how to texture it. The problem is that I don't know how to light an underwater scene to get the underwater feel (bubbles, light rays, and all the rest). I'm using 3ds max 2018 and a Vray 3.6.

Is there someone who could share ne a few advices to make this one work?

Thank you in advance.

Karlo Karlov

Edited by karlokarlov
Writing mistake

For bubbles either use a particle system to spawn some spheres, or forest pack to distribute some spheres along hidden geometry. For the caustic effect just use a vray light that projects a caustic texture.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/3DSMax-Archive/files/GUID-404DCF5A-D2AC-4E71-81AD-6810508B3A7C-htm.html

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/77916-swimming-pool-caustic-settings.html

There are many tricks to fake underwater visuals, besides what Nicolai mentioned, you should look into the fog options in your glass or water materials, this will create that distance fog typical of underwater images, also you could place some spots lightly with fog effect on them to create an accent and volumetric effects.

Having said that all this will increase your render time so do not exaggerate much this effect on rendering.

You can also create some Z passes and do the fog effects in post if need it.